Senior Beamline Technician
|Job Title||Senior Beamline Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||£32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
|Date of interviews||20/02/2017|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We require an experienced electrical technician to work on a number of X-ray beamlines. You will be required to maintain the equipment and work with the beamline scientists in designing and installing new components, helping beamline users in preparing and setting up their experiments.
You will provide support during the installation and commissioning phase, and subsequent operations. Duties will focus on the development of the facilities and assistance with the day-to-day operation. You should have an ONC/GNVQ level 2 or equivalent qualification.
DUTIES - To support the Diamond scientists during the installation and commissioning of the beamlines. Once the beamlines are in use the technicians will maintain the equipment and work with the beamline scientists in designing and installing new beamline components and helping users to carry out experiments.
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of the above systems;
- Safety inspections on electrical systems;
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of modules;
- Ensuring that all beamline work is carried out safely and using the correct processes such as ATW, PTW; carrying out regular safety inspections;
- General laboratory work including some electrical cabling, design and build of simple electronic devices;
- Maintenance, development and upgrading of existing beamline systems;
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of further specialist beamline systems;
- Assisting users with equipment in preparing and setting-up experiments;
- Design and build new of equipment/development;
- Coordination of work between beamlines within the village;
- Working with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Supervision of other staff (staff and contractors).
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or Electrical or Electronic City & Guilds or GNVQ level 2 qualification (applicants with equivalent work experience may also be considered);
- Relevant work experience in an electrical support role with industrial or scientific control systems;
- Basic knowledge of electrical and electronic circuit theory and practice;
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electrical systems;
- Good understanding of electrical safety practices for LV & HV low power circuits and devices;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering, crimping, cable assembly and rack wiring;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and multimeters;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Effective team player.
- Experience of supervision of staff/contractors.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of Technical Support in a synchrotron or equivalent facility;
- Experience with Stepper Motors, Servo drives and encoders;
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding for motion control systems;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD for electrical design work;
- An understanding of PLC operation and programming;
- An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as RS232/422/485;
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations;
- Knowledge of HSE legislation;
- Knowledge of latest IEE wiring regulations;
- Knowledge of BS EN 60204-1 Safety of Machinery, Electrical equipment of machines;
- Experience in line-management.
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com