Electrical Beamline Technician / Senior Beamline Technician
|Job Title||Electrical Beamline Technician / Senior Beamline Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £27k and circa £33k for appointment at the senior level + benefits|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require an experienced electrical technician to work on a number of X-ray beamlines. You will be required to maintain the equipment and work with the beamline scientists in designing and installing new components, helping beamline users in preparing and setting up their experiments.
You will provide support during the installation and commissioning phase, and subsequent operations. Duties will focus on the development of the facilities and assistance with the day-to-day operation. You should have an ONC/GNVQ level 2 or equivalent qualification.
The role will include working on all electrical aspects of the beamline including racks and field equipment. This could be experimental chambers that provide high/ low temperature and or high/low pressure or high magnetic field environments for sample testing or robotic/automated sample handling equipment. It will also include installation of motors and electrical sensors for items such as vacuum, pneumatics, water flow and temperature monitoring.
The main duties include:
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of the above systems;
- Safety inspections on electrical systems;
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of modules;
- Ensuring that all beamline work is carried out safely and using the correct processes such as ATW, PTW; carrying out regular safety inspections;
- General laboratory work including some electrical cabling, design and build of simple electronic devices;
- Maintaining and upgrading existing beamline equipment;
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of further specialist beamline equipment;
- Assisting users with equipment in preparing and setting-up experiments;
- Design and build new equipment/development;
- Coordination of work between beamlines within the village;
- Supervision of other staff (contractors).
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or Electrical or Electronic City & Guilds or GNVQ level 2 qualification (applicants with equivalent work experience may also be considered);
- Relevant work experience in an electrical support role with industrial or scientific control systems;
- Basic knowledge of electrical and electronic circuit theory and practice;
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electrical systems;
- Good understanding of electrical safety practices for LV & HV low power circuits and devices;
- Ability to understand and interpret electrical drawings, circuit diagrams and basic mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering, crimping, cable assembly and rack wiring;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and multimeters;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Effective team player.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of Technical Support in a synchrotron or equivalent facility (essential for appointment at senior level);
- Experience with Stepper Motors, Servo drives and encoders;
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding for motion control systems;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD for electrical design work;
- An understanding of PLC operation and programming;
- An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work (essential for appointment at senior level);
- Supervision of staff/contractors (essential for appointment at senior level);
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as RS232/422/485;
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations;
- Knowledge of HSE legislation;
- Knowledge of latest IEE wiring regulations;
- Knowledge of BS EN 60204-1 Safety of Machinery, Electrical equipment of machines.
For appointment at the senior level: Desirable
- Experience in line-management
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org