Software Scientist (Cluster Development)
|Job Title||Software Scientist (Cluster Development)|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £35,000|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s largest scientific investment in the past 40 years. Located in rural South Oxfordshire, it works like a giant microscope, harnessing the power of electrons to produce brilliant light that scientists use to study anything from fossils to jet engines to viruses and vaccines.
The Science Computing team is a group of enthusiastic problem solvers dedicated to enabling the highest quality science. They develop and support the best computer, storage and networking hardware available today to provide the world-class computing infrastructure the science demands.
We are seeking a good people person who has both programming and system administrator’s skills. You will work with both the Data Analysis group (who provide the analysis software required to process our scientific data) and the Science Computing team (who provide the High Throughput Computing infrastructure) to ensure our software and systems work together efficiently and reliably. Whilst you will be part of the Science Computing team, you will spend much of your time with the Data Analysis group testing and developing new software across a range of different hardware systems. It is likely you will have a background in scientific software, with a strong IT interest.
The aim of this role is to work with both the Data Analysis group (who provide the analysis software required to process our scientific data) and the Science Computing team (who provide the High Throughput Computing infrastructure) to ensure our software and systems work together efficiently and reliably.
- Work with the Data Analysis Group in Diamond, to:
o Test and improve software to use the Diamond HPC systems more effectively;
o Develop accurate load generators that accurately simulate typical processing loads;
o Develop simple reproducers for problems that occur so they can be understood;
o Anticipate new requirements as analysis techniques develop;
o Solve problems for users and provide help and advice.
- Support operational Linux cluster systems by:
o Monitoring cluster loads and problems;
o Testing new hardware to determine its suitability for Diamond data analysis;
o Developing and managing annual cluster purchases;
o Dealing with suppliers and other external companies.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Honours degree or BTEC HNC/HND + relevant experience;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python;
- Knowledge of modern Linux system administration;
- Experience or understanding of scientific data analysis;
- Practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Experienced in supporting the Linux operating system;
- Knowledgeable of computer hardware and modern PC architecture;
- Able to explain basic network applications and how they work;
- Capable of working to deadlines;
- Friendly and helpful with users and able to communicate effectively;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Higher Degree in an appropriate discipline;
- Background in using advanced mathematics and software engineering techniques for application development;
- Experience of data management, describing data and exploiting databases for scientific work;
- Experience of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Project management experience;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles.
Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Diamond Light Source is:
- is an equal opportunities employer;
- encourages and provides career development and training;
- provides easy access to extra-curricular activities such as clubs, sports and lectures.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org