Student Engagement Officer
|Job Title||Student Engagement Officer|
|Post Type||Full time / 2 year fixed term contract|
|Salary information||£32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
Diamond are seeking a Student Engagement Officer, to manage our growing programme of student engagement. Diamond has a community of around 70 co-funded PhD students, and busy and growing schemes for undergraduate placements. The engagement officer would act as a key point of contact for students associated with the facility, and would ensure that the quality of experience for students is consistently excellent, and that students and supervisors are well supported.
Responsibilities / duties:
- To be responsible for the day to day management of the PhD student recruitment scheme, liaising with supervisors internally and externally, funders and other internal teams as required;
- To provide first line assistance to PhD students at Diamond for all non-project enquiries, and respond to or direct queries as appropriate;
- To act as data manager for student activities, from recruitment to collecting information of student training and activities to feed into reporting and evaluation;
- To professionally manage multiple internal relationships (e.g. with legal, HR and communications departments) to coordinate activities relating to PhD studentships;
- To manage the undergraduate summer and 12 month placement programmes at Diamond, working with internal project supervisors and students;
- To support apprentices at Diamond and work with the STFC apprentice coordinator to assist with events and programmes as required;
- Manage planning and delivery of events for undergraduates and post graduates (e.g. visits and student conferences);
- Act as a point of contact for enquiries on post-graduate schemes and activities
- Manage some key aspects of e-learning for students, collecting and ensuring that training materials are available online and tracking their use;
- Administer social media for students (e.g. administer linkedin groups);
- To manage the development of the programmes as the organisation grows and the scope of the role increases;
- Undertake other projects and activities relating to student liaison as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree or equivalent (preferably in a science subject);
- Ability to work with multiple partners (internal and external) to deliver successful projects;
- Organised and highly accurate data management;
- Clear and confident communicator (with evidence of good presentation skills), who can deliver persuasive and engaging content to a wide variety of audiences;
- Demonstrable experience of stakeholder management;
- Proven exceptional customer service skills;
- Experience in running successful events;
- Working in a busy office environment;
- Database management experience;
- Experience of evaluation production/report writing;
- Experience of matrix working;
- IT skills commensurate with normal office environment.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Postgraduate degree;
- Experience of working with student audiences in a higher education environment;
- Previous experience with web editing/e-learning platforms (e.g. blackboard/moodle);
- Experience in running successful partnership events;
- Web editing and production skills;
- Experience of using HR systems.
Full time preferred but options of flexible working are encouraged.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com