Mechanical Design Engineer
|Job Title||Mechanical Design Engineer|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £35,000, depending on skills and experience|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
The aim of this role is to provide mechanical engineering design support to the technical systems of the Diamond facility.
A good degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent, is essential and experience in the design and manufacture of precision mechanisms would be an advantage as would familiarity with ultra-high vacuum, permanent magnet assemblies, cryogenics, production engineering and the machinery directive.
- Work closely with internal and external scientific and engineering staff to produce mechanical designs for projects;
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies including ultra high vacuum systems, stable support structures, precision mechanisms, cryogenics and the general design of scientific equipment and plant;
- Produce concept designs, layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer software;
- Carry out calculations and FEA as competence and supervision allow;
- Procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers;
- Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering;
- Ability to provide ideas, creativity on design problems;
- Proficiency in 3D CAD modelling and production of 2D engineering drawings from 3D models;
- Demonstrate self-motivation;
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it through to completion;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with management, peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers;
- A practical background in mechanical engineering with significant design and assembly experience;
- Experience in the specification, procurement, installation and commissioning of engineering systems;
- Very good working knowledge of engineering drawings;
- Experience of working in a team;
- Competent in the use of computers and Word, Excel;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Competence in AutoCAD or Creo.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Experience of mechanical FEA;
- Experience in ultra-high vacuum technology;
- Experience in precision mechanism design;
- Experience with cryogenic cooling;
- Experience of mechanical fabrication and manufacturing techniques;
- Competence in the selection of materials;
- Familiarity with the machinery directive;
- Production engineering experience;
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally;
- Driving Licence.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org