Electron Microscopy Scientist / Senior Electron Microscopy Scientist
|Job Title||Electron Microscopy Scientist / Senior Electron Microscopy Scientist|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £34k and circa £44k for appointment at the senior level|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
As part of Diamond’s pioneering hard X-ray nanoprobe beamline (I14) and electron microscopy centre, Johnson Matthey and Oxford University are each contributing cutting-edge microscopes from JEOL to support research in the Physical Sciences. These microscopes will complement two other advanced electron microscopes that will also be built at the new centre as part of a National Facility for Cryo-Electron Microscopy. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire and integrated within Diamond Light source the centre provides a unique platform to exploit electron, light and synchrotron imaging capabilities through an integrated approach in the life sciences.
We seek to build an outstanding team with in depth experience of running an EM facility, ideally with a good appreciation of the methods and application of EDX, EELS, atomic scale imaging and electron diffraction. Part of the mission of the centre is also to train and outreach nationally and internationally to the EM community.
The primary role will be to support the day-to-day operation of the Physical Science Electron Microscopy Facility. The post holder will train new users, manage user visits and contribute scientifically to the research and development of projects.
The aim of the role is to work with the Science and Operations Directors of the Physical Science Electron Microscopy Facility at Diamond to deliver and operate a user facility for aberration corrected transmission electron microscopy.
- Provide a local contact role including set up and out of hours support to users of electron microscopy at Diamond, providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques;
- Assist in the development of new equipment on the microscope, including testing and commissioning;
- Collaborate with other staff in the Electron Microscopy Facility to develop research/technical expertise in an area relevant to electron microscopy;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with other Diamond staff and users;
- Communicate facility capabilities and outputs through publications and presentations.
Additional duties for appointment at Senior level:
- Manage the general running of the EM labs and auxiliary lab equipment;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised for own work in an area relevant to electron microscopy;
- Line manage the Diamond EM Scientist(s) and Diamond postdoctoral research assistants.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Relevant postgraduate degree (or ability to demonstrate significant relevant experience);
- Experience of transmission electron microscopy data collection and analysis;
- Experience in the preparation of samples for transmission electron microscopy;
- Demonstrated track record in electron microscopy;
- Good dexterity and the ability to use fine, delicate instruments;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Strong organisational skill and methodical record keeping;
- Ability to work flexibly with weekend and out-of-hours working.
Essential for appointment at Senior level:
- Extensive postdoctoral experience.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of project management;
- Experience in managing a user facility;
- Experience with troubleshooting EM issues and working with factory engineers to resolve them;
- Extensive computational knowledge (setting up hardware and software and fast networks).
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com