PDRA, B23 (for SRCD)
|Job Title||PDRA, B23 (for SRCD)|
|Post Type||Full time / 3 yr Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||Circa £32k - £39k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We have a vacancy for a PDRA to work within the B23 Circular Dichroism beamline team developing a research programme that exploits the qualities of the beamline. You will be expected to develop a programme of research using CD spectroscopy and other biophysical techniques. You will also be required to collaborate in user research projects, support the operation of the beamline, publish results in leading journals and attend international conferences.
Candidates should have an appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification and knowledge or experience on Circular Dichroism (CD)and other molecular spectroscopies. Research experience and knowledge of synchrotron is preferred.
Working with the Synchrotron Radiation Circular Dichroism (SRCD) beamline team in the following areas:
- Develop an in-house research project in an area related to the work of the SRCD beamline in structural chemistry/biology and instrumentation development such as micro-cell mixing devices, sample compartments and sample holder systems
- To support the beamline and peripheral laboratory facilities
- To collaborate in in-house and user research projects
- Support the operation of the beamline and interact closely with the users during beamtime
- To upgrade and develop the beamline, maintaining it as a world class user facility
- To publish work performed on the beamline in leading international journals and attend international conferences.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Experience of spectroscopic techniques, in particular Circular Dichroism;
- Experience of instrumentation development;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivated.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of programming;
- Experience with Windows and Visual Basic.
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org