Data Analysis Scientist (Macromolecular Crystallography)
|Job Title||Data Analysis Scientist (Macromolecular Crystallography)|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £31k - £43k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source provides scientists with state-of-the-art experimental equipment and expertise in many areas of structural studies using synchrotron light. In the area of Macromolecular Crystallography (MX) Diamond boasts 5 world leading, highly automated beamlines, with a further 3 beamlines with advanced specialised functionalities coming on line soon. One of the bedrocks underlying the functionality of these beamlines is highly automated data acquisition and analysis software and as more disciplines other than MX also strive to become more automated the success and the principles of the underlying software will also need to be ported and supported. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire and integrated within Diamond Light source the centre provides a unique platform to exploit electron, light and synchrotron imaging capabilities through an integrated approach in the life sciences.
You will work with experienced researchers, software scientists and engineers in the scientific software group at Diamond collaborating with Diamond staff and users to define requirements for automated data analysis and visualization applications covering the complete processing process through to structure refinement and ensure that they are implemented in a timely and effective way.
This is an exciting new opportunity to take a leading role on an existing well established platform in a fast changing landscape within the field of macromolecular crystallography synchrotron science whilst benefiting from working and developing your skills within a mature, professional and experienced scientific software development environment offered by Diamond.
We are seeking a high calibre scientist with data analysis and software development experience to participate in the development of the software for automated data processing for a robust on-the-fly data analysis in MX. In collaboration with CCP4, DIALS and software developers in other disciplines, the role requires writing and maintaining and developing Diamond code and pipelines for real-time feedback, data processing, and downstream analysis through to structure solution as well as keeping abreast of new software and analysis trends. A detailed knowledge Python programming, crystallography and experience of synchrotron data collection and processing highly desirable.
To work with existing software and scientific staff to establish software requirements, develop, deploy and support automated MX data reduction and analysis tools, and assist in the development of underlying applications where necessary.
- Working with the beamline scientists and the data acquisition team to identify and define requirements for the automated data management, analysis and visualization of results in MX and assist in other science areas;
- Management and implementation of required software including appropriate documentation and project plans;
- Work closely with acquisition colleagues to enable the integration of analysis and visualization software into the data acquisition process where appropriate;
- Technical appreciation of software techniques and tools to employ;
- Use scientific and technical knowledge to understand and implement data management analysis and visualization software;
- Development and use of collaboration across multidisciplinary teams from potentially geographically separated locations;
- Produce project plans and documentation;
- Implement appropriate software testing regimes as part of the development process;
- Source, evaluate, install and support any 3rd party software required to meet the requirements for data management, analysis and visualization.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- First degree in engineering, computing or science;
- Experience of modern programming languages in particular C, C++ and Python;
- Experience or understanding of crystallography or closely related scientific field;
- Requires practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Background in using advanced mathematics and software engineering techniques for application development;
- Experience of data management, describing data and exploiting databases and high performance computers for scientific work;
- Experience of synchrotron MX data collection;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Self motivated.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- PhD in science discipline;
- Experience of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Project management experience.
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences;
- Must be prepared to contribute to out of hours work for beamline user support.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org