Senior Mechanical Project Engineer
|Job Title||Senior Mechanical Project Engineer|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is a world class science institute providing X-Ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter. The Engineering Group plays a key role in the design and construction of beamlines that transport the light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. Beamlines comprise optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the group and lead in the delivery of solutions to meet the scientific challenges we face. To deliver world class science for the UK we need engineering solutions to match so if you feel you have the imagination to think outside the box coupled with expertise in the areas mentioned above, please read on...
To provide professional mechanical engineering leadership in delivering projects related to the technical systems of the Diamond facility.
- Take a pro-active lead in the delivery of a range of Diamond projects as assigned, interacting closely with in-house and external scientific and engineering staff;
- Provide creative, innovative and adaptive solutions to problems involved with the multi-disciplined engineering systems and provide professional leadership to the mechanical design, manufacture, installation, testing and commissioning phases;
- Negotiate, agree and write technical specifications, produce and monitor project management plans including Gantt charts, resource and procurement plans. Prepare budget submissions, taking budget responsibility and signing powers as required;
- Lead a Team, responsible as line manager for DLS staff and supervisor for contract staff;
- Produce layouts, room data sheets, design concepts and calculations in support of designs performing or supervising CAD and FEA as required and reviewing promptly the design submissions from the cabins and services design consultants and contractors;
- Organise and Chair various Technical, Managerial and Safety related meetings;
- Lead Hazard and Risk Assessment analysis and pursue solutions to mitigate risks;
- Monitor operational performance, identifying areas for improvement, proposing and implementing new procedures, systems and equipment or changes to existing;
- Keep up to date with relevant technology and industry best practice, identifying and initiating training provision to fill skills gaps;
- Maintain and Manage project files containing all relevant project documentation and complete formal handover of projects to the relevant client;
- Produce presentations, papers and posters for relevant workshops and conferences.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff;
- Some practical background in mechanical engineering and significant experience;
- Experience in the specification, procurement, installation and commissioning of engineering systems;
- Good appreciation of project management;
- Experience of at least one mechanical CAD system and an FEA package;
- Very good working knowledge of engineering drawings;
- Experience of working in a team and presenting ideas and solutions to customers;
- Competent in the use of computers and Word, Excel, Power Point, MSProject;
- Experience in ultra high vacuum technology;
- Experience in precision mechanism design;
- Experience with cryogenic cooling;
- Competence in the selection of materials;
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- PhD or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Driving Licence;
- Experience of mechanical fabrication and manufacturing techniques;
- Experience of supervision;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Experience of heat transfer calculations and design;
- Experience in motion control systems;
- Competence in AutoCAD or Creo.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org