Head of Procurement
|Job Title||Head of Procurement|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full-time|
|Division||Finance & Corporate Services|
|Salary information||Circa £50,000|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
The aim of this role is to lead the Procurement Group, so as to ensure all aspects of the Company’s procurement processes and supply chain are properly and effectively managed.
Key duties include:
- Lead the development of procurement strategy, and of effective and robust procurement procedures, systems and processes across Diamond.
- Ensure appropriate standards of Corporate Governance are maintained throughout the organisation in respect of all procurement matters so as to ensure compliance with legislation, best practice, and in particular that procurement procedures and systems contain controls to minimise the risk of fraud or inappropriate transactions.
- Advise the Director FCS, and where appropriate the Board, on all procurement matters including Corporate Governance, relevant legislation and current best practice.
- Provide professional advice to managers to ensure the most appropriate and effective procurement strategies are followed for all major procurements.
- Provide professional advice to Diamond management to ensure contracts, purchase orders, and agreements are commercially viable, legally compliant, and protect the Company’s best interests.
- To understand any changes in the European and UK Procurement legislation, so as to interpret and apply this knowledge to Diamond’s best advantage.
- Lead the development of the Company’s procurement systems.
- Personally manage high value / complex procurements from tender through to contract and completion.
- Take the lead in managing and developing supplier relationships to ensure the supply chain works effectively towards Diamond’s objectives.
- Work with suppliers and Diamond staff to resolve disputes to ensure a satisfactory outcome is achieved.
- Negotiate with suppliers to ensure that best value for money and terms are achieved and represent an acceptable risk to the Company.
- Recruit, manage, lead and develop the Procurement group
- Design and deliver appropriate training on procurement law, practice and procedures for Diamond managers and staff.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Working towards membership of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (or similar professional qualification);
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to understand Diamond’s needs and to guide management in the selection of appropriate procurement strategies;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement in Diamond’s procurement practices;
- Ability to negotiate contract terms and conditions and prices;
- Ability to manage supplier relationships;
- Ability to identify and mitigate risks;
- Experience of procurement in a technically challenging environment;
- Experience of tender specification, evaluation and negotiation.;
- Experience of procurement in the UK Public Sector;
- Knowledge of UK commercial & contract law (as it applies to procurement);
- Knowledge of EU/OJEU procurement regulations and practices;
- Knowledge of different procurement routes and experience of selecting the most advantageous;
- Experience of contractual dispute resolution;
- Management and leadership of procurement team;
- Ability to identify opportunities for Procurement to add value to the achievement of Diamond’s strategic vision.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- First degree;
- Experience of developing procurement systems.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org