PDRA in Accelerator Physics
|Job Title||PDRA in Accelerator Physics|
|Post Type||2 - 3 Year Fixed Term / Full-time|
|Salary information||Circa £36,000, depending on skills and experience|
The Diamond synchrotron light source is the largest scientific facility built in the UK, located at The Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. The Diamond facility consists of three accelerators – a 100 MeV linac, a 3 GeV booster synchrotron and a 562 m circumference 3 GeV storage ring. Diamond presently operates 18 synchrotron light beamlines and Phase-III which is currently underway will allow the complete exploitation of the available straight sections by the end of 2017.
- The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Carry out studies to model, understand and optimise the performance of the Diamond accelerators, the associated insertion devices and feedback systems, under all required operating conditions;
- Contribute to producing the relevant procedures and high level software tools in order to achieve the above;
- Actively participate in machine development activities, proposing and undertaking new experiments, carrying out the corresponding data analysis and reporting the findings to the Accelerator Physics and Machine Development meetings;
- Contribute to advanced studies for ultra low emittance lattices, new injection schemes and upgrades. This involve mastering advanced numerical optimisation techniques for improving both the beam optics and collective effects of the proposed Diamond upgrade, in continuous interaction with other technical groups such as engineering, magnets, vacuum, power supplies and controls.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
The successful candidate is likely to have the following skills and experience:
- Qualified to at least degree level in an appropriate branch of physics;
- Some experience of accelerator physics of both a practical and theoretical nature;
- Experience in the operation of existing accelerator is desirable;
- Self motivation, flexibility, ability to work effectively in a team;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Available to travel in the UK and abroad, including periods away from home;
- Available to work occasional shifts during machine development periods.
Appointment and Salary
Appointments will be made by the Diamond Light Source Ltd. The posts will be based at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Chilton, Didcot. The position is open for three years with possibility of renewal.
Salary on appointment will be approximately £36,000 for a person with 3-5 years experience; a higher salary might be considered for exceptionally qualified candidates.
Enquiries should be made to the Head of the Accelerator Physics Group at Diamond.
Applications should be made to the HR Department at Diamond by submitting a completed application form available at www.diamond.ac.uk/careers.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com