Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist, Beamline I06
|Job Title||Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist, Beamline I06|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £33k or Circa £40k for appointment at the senior level|
|Date of interviews|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
Beamline I06 operates a leading polarised soft x-ray beamline for research exploiting x-ray magnetic circular dichroism and resonant soft x-ray diffraction. The beamline houses a PhotoEmission Electron Microscope (PEEM), a high-field low-temperature supercoducting magnet and a soft x-ray diffractometer. The beamline also operates two femtosecond lasers for ultrafast science. We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated new member of the team with experience in at least one of the disciplines described above. Research interests should be clearly presented in the application. Candidates with interests in magnetism, magnetisation dynamics or highly-correlated systems studied using ultrafast optical or x-ray techniques are encouraged to apply.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist in the construction, installation, commissioning and operation of the beamline.
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Installation, assembly, and maintenance of a range of equipment and systems on the beamline and support laboratories, including testing and commissioning;
- Procurement of straightforward beamline components;
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components;
- Local contact support to users by setting up and providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques once beamline operational;
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline and disseminate through publications and presentations;
- Assist in the development of a new item of equipment or system on the beamline, including testing and commissioning.
Additional duties for appointment at the senior level:
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of particular significant items for the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Procurement of significant beamline components;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations of own work in an area relevant to beamline;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification;
- Second degree in appropriate subject;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Excellent observational skills;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Self motivated;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Relevant synchrotron research experience;
- Experience of polarised X-ray measurement using synchrotrons;
- Experience in PEEM or ulatrafast science or circular magnetic dichroism;
- Experience in operating femtosecond lasers;
- Knowledge of beamline instrumentation;
- Experience in nanoscience techniques;
- Programming skills in Python and Java;
- Ability to manage a small team (Essential for appointment at the higher level);
- Demonstrated ability to develop a research program and successful scientific publication record (Essential for appointment at the higher level);
- Experience of beamline design and construction (Significant experience, essential for appointment at the higher level);
- Experience of operating a beamline for users (Essential for appointment at the higher level);
- Project management experience (Essential for appointment at the higher level).
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com