|Job Title||Electrical Technician|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||Circa £25k|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
We require an experienced electrical technician to work on the X-ray beamlines and electron beam accelerators. You will provide support during the installation and commissioning and maintenance phases of our complex beamlines, reporting directly to the Electrical Engineer responsible. You will purchase materials and ensure that all necessary tools, cables, connectors and drawings are available and carry out installation and commissioning tasks. You will be able to mark up drawings with as-built information and work with other staff from different departments on installation and maintenance.
- Installation and commissioning support for specialist equipment. This will include working on all electrical aspects of the beamline including control racks and field equipment. It will also include installation of motors and electrical sensors for items such as vacuum, pneumatics, water flow and temperature monitoring;
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of above systems;
- Safety inspections on electrical systems;
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of beamline modules;
- Ordering materials and maintaining spares holdings;
- Marking up drawings and providing feedback to Engineering.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or Electrical or Electronic City & Guilds or GNVQ level 2 qualification (applicants with equivalent work experience may also be considered);
- Relevant work experience in an electrical support role with industrial or scientific control systems;
- Basic knowledge of electrical and electronic circuit theory and practice;
- Understanding of safe working practices with electrical equipment including extra low voltage, high current and high voltage circuits;
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electrical systems;
- Good understanding of electrical safety practices for LV & HV low power circuits and devices;
- Ability to understand and interpret electrical drawings, circuit diagrams and basic mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering, crimping, cable assembly and rack wiring;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and multimeters;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Effective team player.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Completed technical apprenticeship and HNC qualification;
- Experience with Stepper Motors, Servo drives and encoders;
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding for motion control systems;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD for electrical design work;
- An understanding of PLC operation and programming;
- An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org