Post Doctoral Research Associate - Test Beamline B16
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate - Test Beamline B16|
|Salary information||£27,582 - £37,913; starting salary, dependant on assessment of previous relevant experience and qualifications|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Beamline B16 Test beamline is a highly versatile and flexible beamline catering to diverse types of experiments. The beamline operates in the 2 – 20 keV photon energy range and follows a healthy mix of research and instrumentation / testing /characterisation. In essence, it is a general purpose beamline which enables a wide range of experiments to be performed including, but not limited to, reflectivity, diffraction and imaging.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Post Doctoral Research Associate to work closely with the beamline team to develop an in-house research programme in an area related to the work of B16. The position will also involve development of the facility in areas that are relevant to the in-house research themes, requiring skills in instrumentation, mathematics and computing.
Working with the B16 beamline team in the following areas:
- Develop an in-house research program in an area related to the work on B16;
- Carrying out experiments, analysing data and publication of results;
- Keeping up with latest results and research directions internationally;
- Developing experimental and data analysis techniques and implementing them on the beamline;
- Occasional support of the research projects of the users, who will come from a diverse scientific background.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Experience or knowledge of one or more of the following x-ray techniques: diffraction (single-crystal, powder, surface/interface), imaging (microscopy and/or micro-tomography), topography or reflectometry;
- Experience or knowledge in synchrotron instrumentation;
- Experience or knowledge of scientific data analysis;
- Interest and experience in a relevant area of materials science and x-ray physics;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation;
- Able to propose new directions for research.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in synchrotron radiation experiments;
- Experience of x-ray beamlines at synchrotrons and / or x-ray optics;
- Experience of programming, especially Python, and Java.
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com