DIA0501/TH - Assistant Systems Administrator
|Job Title||Assistant Systems Administrator|
|Salary information||£21,000 - £29,000. Depending on skills, qualifications and experience.|
|Date of interviews||//|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
The Diamond photon beamline and experiment stations use a range of computer systems, for experiment control, data acquisitions, data analysis and data storage. These are predominantly PC based, running the Linux operating systems. Local to each beamline and experiment station are servers and workstations core to supporting the science on that beamline, in addition there are large central computation and storage facilities. The availability of these systems is core to the operation of Diamond Light Source, and they are managed by a dedicated Scientific Computing Systems Administration Team.
- Assisting in the support of the operational of scientific computer systems;
- Manage queries raised through the Diamond IT issue tracking system;
- Installation of new computer systems, including racking, cabling, software installation and configuration;
- Assisting in Computer systems administration tasks associated with the scientific computing systems;
- Assisting in the development and deployment of software tools to support system administration;
- Liaise with suppliers on the provision of services and, the coordination and supervision of installation by external companies;
- Maintenance and regular update of documentation;
- Assist with the preparation of Health & Safety risk assessments.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Be willing to work occasional shifts during commissioning and later operations.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org