|Job Title||Laboratory Technician|
|Salary information||Circa £25k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
The Research Complex at Harwell (RCaH) is a new, multidisciplinary laboratory that provides facilities for researchers to undertake new and cutting edge scientific research in both life and physical sciences and the interface between them. It is located on the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) site on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, adjacent to Diamond, the new third generation Synchrotron Radiation (SR) source.
We are seeking to recruit a Laboratory Technician, with a chemistry background, to fulfil a fixed-term post, providing support to scientists, visitors and users of the Diamond Laboratories (50%) and to Support Physical Sciences at the Research Complex at Harwell (50%)
Within the Research Complex the main duties will be to maintain two synthetic chemical laboratories, including the maintenance of equipment, instrumentation, provision of research materials and laboratory services. There is also a requirement to liaise with the consortium leaders, consortium members, post doctoral workers and students working on the projects, and with members of the Research Complex administrative staff and to ensure the safe operation of the laboratories and allocated project work areas.
At Diamond the main duties will be to provide laboratory support to scientists, visitors and users of the Diamond machine and peripheral laboratories. You will be expected to provide chemicals, and consumables as well as supervising and monitoring the use of equipment in laboratories. You should have familiarity of the use and disposal of chemicals in accordance with C.O.S.H.H.
Successful candidates will have experience with handling hazardous chemicals and specialist gases. Use and maintenance of a range of equipment such as spectrophotometers, glove boxes, gas chromatography, high performance liquid chromatography etc. would be an advantage.
You should be highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative. Good communication skills are essential and experience of working in a multi-discipline environment with scientists would be an advantage.
There is a strong emphasis on Health and Safety so familiarity of risk assessments and legislation would be desirable but not essential.
Research Complex Laboratories
- Provide support to two physical sciences consortia working at the Research Complex at Harwell, liaising with the consortium leaders, consortium members, post doctoral workers and students working on the projects, and with members of the Research Complex administrative staff;
- Maintain two synthetic chemical laboratories, within the Research Complex, including maintenance of equipment, instrumentation, provision of research materials and laboratory services;
- Assist in the setting up and running of instrumentation and laboratory equipment, the maintenance and safe operation of the laboratories and allocated project work areas;
- Support the consortium leaders and post doctoral researchers in day-to-day safety matters within the laboratories and work areas. Monitor and maintain records (where required) and ensure the correct storage of chemicals, waste and other specialist materials in accordance with C.O.S.H.H;
- To undertake other duties commensurate with the post as requested by the Research Supervisor and Consortium Team.
- To provide general laboratory support to scientists, visitors and users within the Diamond laboratories. Assist in the setting up and running of instrumentation and laboratory equipment and the maintenance and safe operation of the laboratories;
- Monitor compliance by all users, of safety procedures and practices throughout the laboratories in adherence with relevant company and statutory H&S and other guidelines;
- Monitor and ensure the correct storage of chemicals, waste and other specialist materials in accordance with C.O.S.H.H. (maintain records where required);
- Undertake the provision of chemicals, gases, consumables and other sample preparations as required and provide general laboratory support;
- Supervise the use of laboratory equipment, provide assistance and training if required, monitor and provide support for calibration and service contracts for agreed laboratories;
- Undertake other duties of a similar nature including working flexibly with other employees as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Significant relevant work experience;
- Proven experience in most of the following areas: handling of hazardous chemicals, specialist gases, protein purification, use of spectrophotometers, HPLC, chromatography (gas and liquid) equipment, fume hoods, glove boxes etc;
- Familiarity of maintaining stock and resource levels, cleaning and maintenance of laboratory equipment. Calibration and testing of equipment;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Ability to carry out a range of basic tasks in chemical laboratories;
- Ability to operate standard laboratory equipment.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- HNC/ HND or equivalent qualification in appropriate subject;
- Applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered;
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment, with visitors and scientists;
- Familiarity of HSE legislation, risk assessments and COSHH. Working with portable gas supplies;
- Ability to monitor and keep stock records;
- Good IT skills – standard MS Office software.
Some travel may be required, usually within the UK
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org