Press & Public Relations Officer
|Job Title||Press & Public Relations Officer|
|Salary information||Circa £21,904|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We currently have a vacancy for the post of Press and Public Relations Officer.
- Led by the PR Manager, source appropriate content for media stories and turn it into news releases/briefing notes/photo calls for the media;
- Coordinate the news distribution process: attain necessary approvals, draw up media lists, send out releases, follow-ups etc;
- General copywriting for newsletters, articles, brochures, web etc;
- Schedule and facilitate media events and journalist visits;
- Schedule media training for staff and users and provide pre-interview briefings when required;
- Ensure all communications’ database systems are up to date, including: the Diamond Image Library, the CRM, the log of corporate and scientific publications;
- Maintain the media coverage log, updating the online system as necessary, and produce regular coverage reports for the communications team and Diamond Board;
- Ensure appropriate use and credit of Diamond images;
- Monitor and edit third party press releases/case studies about Diamond;
- Coordinate and manage on-site filming projects, covering all copyright issues, as requested;
- Maintain the notice board, news and media sections of the intranet and external website, and assist the Web & Information Manager with general website editing and maintenance;
- Contribute a ‘latest news’ section to each Diamond podcast;
- Help prepare applications for and the delivery of public science events such as the British Science Festival, ESOF and AAAS;
- Assist with the planning and delivery of internal and external events as required;
- Provide other administrative support to the CEO office as necessary.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Strong organisational skills;
- Strong sense of initiative;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Strong IT skills – standard MS office, database Management;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Strong interest in science communication;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Experience of working in a busy communications/press office;
- Experience of database maintenance i.e. managing external contacts;
- Person flexible and able to quickly adapt to new environments.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of organising and co-ordinating events on both a large and small scale;
- Experience of content editing web and intranet sites;
- A knowledge or understanding of data protection issues;
- Knowledge of a second European language;
- Degree or equivalent in science or marketing communication discipline.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com