Beamline Support Scientist/ Senior Support Scientist
|Job Title||Beamline Support Scientist/ Senior Beamline Support Scientist|
|Salary information||Circa 26k or Circa £ 33k at Senior level|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Beamline I11 is a dedicated high resolution and time-resolved powder diffraction facility at Diamond. It is a highly versatile and flexible beamline catering to diverse types of experiments using a wide range of sample environments. We are seeking a highly motivated candidate to work as a support scientist/senior support scientist on this beamline. She/he will be required to work with the beamline team and with other support staff to ensure efficient beamline operation, user support and instrument developments. The commissioning of beamline upgrade for long duration experiments, new components and testing new software are also included. Candidates should have an appropriate qualification and experience in the use or development of non-ambient sample environments. Experience of X-ray powder diffraction using laboratory, synchrotron or other techniques is desirable but not essential. Applicants with knowledge or experience of laboratory techniques such as Raman, UV and infrared spectroscopy, electron microscopy and DSC are preferred.
- Local contact support to users by setting up and providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques;
- Assist in the procurement, installation, assembly, and maintenance of a range of equipment and systems on the beamline and support laboratories, including testing and commissioning;
- Produce reports and documentation (e.g. manuals) to support the beamline;
- Data collection for samples sent to Diamond by users;
- Support of in-house research programmes;
- Maintenance of the beamline during operations;
- Assist in undertaking problem solving and fault diagnosis of the beamline.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• Appropriate Science Degree;
• Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
• Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
• Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
• Self motivation;
• Good organisational and planning skills;
• Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
• Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working.
For appointment at the senior / higher level, candidates should in addition have:
• Appropriate PhD and three years relevant experience;
• Experience in supporting Scientists in the conduct of research in a synchrotron or equivalent facility;
• Experience in powder diffraction;
• Capability of providing full data analysis to the users.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotron radiation;
- Experience of Powder Diffraction and Data Analysis;
- Experience of beamline instrumentation or X-ray optics;
- Experience of laboratory techniques such as Raman, IR, and UV spectroscopy, DSC and SEM;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com