Vacuum Instrumentation Technician
|Job Title||Vacuum Instrumentation Technician|
|Salary information||Circa £26k|
- Construction, testing, installation, commissioning, servicing, fault finding, calibration and repair of:
- Diamond vacuum instrumentation equipment and associated control and interlock systems hardware and software including some cabling work
- Ancillary vacuum instrumentation systems such as pumping carts, beamline pumping station control units, vacuum laboratory equipment and bakeout equipment.
- Contribute to the specification, design, development, documentation and user training on all these systems.
- Assist with monitoring vacuum instrumentation to identify problems and to enable effective and timely repair, replacement or upgrading of faulty equipment.
- Inspection and testing of newly delivered vacuum instrumentation equipment
- Upgrading of vacuum instrumentation equipment to ensure future compatibility
- Contribute to development of and work within systems for tracking faulty vacuum instrumentation equipment returns to suppliers and to control the inventory of equipment and associated spares
- Contribute to development and implementation of electrical test, commissioning and repair procedures and work within these procedures.
- Planning and preparation of work including identification of required resources and equipment
- General laboratory and workshop electrical work such as build of cables and electrical equipment for Vacuum Group including test equipment, prototyping and development work
- Integration of vacuum instrumentation equipment into racks and associated panel wiring
- Issue permits to work for ion pump system cabling on the accelerators and beamlines if authorized following appropriate training and familiarisation.
- In collaboration with engineers, develop and work within systems for safe working on vacuum electrical equipment
- Undertake other related duties to meet the needs of the Vacuum Group
- Comply with all Diamond Health and Safety procedures and policies
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability to understand and work with electrical and mechanical drawings and circuit diagrams
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering, crimping, cable assembly and rack wiring
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and multi-meters
- Relevant work experience in an electronics or instrumentation support role with industrial or scientific control systems
- Hands-on experience of making off cables with various connectors for LV and HV low power circuits
- Basic knowledge of electrical and electronic circuit theory and practice
- Experience in testing and fault finding of electrical systems
- Good understanding of electrical safety practices for LV & HV low power circuits and devices
- ONC/OND/NVQ or Electrical or Electronic City & Guilds qualification or similar level
- Good problem solving ability
- Ability to work under supervision and on own initiative
- Good communication skills, verbal and written
- Familiarity with standard MS Office software
- Good planning and organising skills
- Effective team player
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Recognised engineering apprenticeship
- HND/HNC in relevant subject or similar level
- Available for occasional travel, usually within the UK, and with occasional overnight stays
- Available to work occasional shifts
- Full Driving Licence
- Experience with vacuum gauging and controllers
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding on vacuum pumping devices
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as RS232/422/485
- Familiarity with using permit to work procedures, work planning and safe systems of work
- Knowledge of BS EN 60204-1 Safety of Machinery, Electrical equipment of machines
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com