|Job Title||Safety, Health & Environmental Advisor|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Responsible for interpreting and implementing Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) legislative requirements in a technical environment, you will be qualified and experienced in biological safety and/or engineering and construction safety. Your experience will also include delivery of SHE training. You will be an effective and enthusiastic communicator able to work on your own initiative and take responsibility for the delivery of projects. Good inter-personal skills and the ability to build good working relationships with internal and external persons are essential. You will possess a Science/Technology/Engineering qualification (e.g. Degree, HND or HNC) and a NEBOSH Certificate (or equivalent) and preferably working toward NEBOSH Diploma. Chartered membership of IOSH would be an advantage. Experience and qualification in Environmental management would be desirable.
Good IT skills are required and considerable post-qualification SHE experience in a technical environment.
To assist in the establishment and maintenance of policy, procedures for the management of safety, health and environment (SHE) at Diamond Light Source Ltd (excluding ionising radiation).
As part of the SHE Team, the major thrust of this role is to assist in developing, implementing and maintaining the SHE management system.
• Develop and maintain aspects of the SHE document management system;
• Provide proactive general SHE advice across Diamond’s operations and specialise in designated areas of SHE, fulfilling delegated roles. This requires the post holder to grasp complex systems and techniques in order to assist and advise on effective and often novel control strategies to ensure the health and safety of staff, Users, visiting scientists, and visitors;
• Preparation and maintenance of generic and specific Risk assessments;
• Support of the Experimental Risk Assessment process including the evaluation of risk assessments for beam-time proposals. This may include literature research into proposed methods and materials;
• Promote a positive SHE culture across Diamond and its Users;
• Develop and deliver appropriate SHE training to staff, contractors, users and visitors;
• Negotiate, develop and implement SHE strategies, plans, systems of work and procedures in collaboration with all levels of management;
• Conducting and setting up SHE monitoring, auditing and inspections to ensure SHE compliance across Diamond, as required;
• Researching and monitoring developments in SHE legislation, codes of practice, guidance, etc and keeping appropriate persons within Diamond informed of relevant requirements;
• To ensure that statutory and Company SHE requirements are understood and met by line management;
• Liaison and provision of support to STFC and other institutions, sharing expertise and best practice and ensuring that any common or specific SHE requirements are achieved;
• Provide cover for SHE Team colleagues in their absence and as work-load dictates;
• To manage contacts, liaison and negotiations with enforcing authorities as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• NEBOSH Certificate (or equivalent);
• Science/Technology/Engineering qualification (e.g Degree, HND or HNC);
• Considerable experience in a SHE role;
• Experience of developing and delivering training.
• Effective, confident and enthusiastic communicator at all levels;
• Flexible, organised, with a proactive approach and able to quickly adapt to changing demands;
• Able to work as part of a team and build good working relationships at all levels;
• Good IT skills;
• Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of work;
• Ability to interpret and implement SHE legislative requirements in a technical environment.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
• Experience of environmental management;
• Working toward NEBOSH Diploma and chartered membership of IOSH;
• Environmental qualification
• Grad IOSH ( or equivalent).
The post holder will be expected to attend on site during out of office hours when required, and to be available 24/7 on a company mobile telephone. This may involve providing timely and practical advice and guidance for problems on complex facilities with significant hazards.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com