Mechanical Beamline Technicians
|Job Title||Mechanical Beamline Technicians|
|Salary information||Circa £26k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
To support the Diamond scientists during the installation and commissioning of the beamlines. Once the beamlines are in operation the technicians will maintain equipment and work with the beamline scientists in designing and installing new beamline components and helping users to carry out experiments.
During installation and commissioning
Installation and commissioning of specialist beamline equipment including:
- Optical components such as monochromators, mirrors, gratings;
- Diffractometer/ goniometer (sample orientation equipment);
- Experimental chambers that provide high/low temperature and or high/low pressure or high magnetic field environments for sample testing;
- Robotic/ automated sample handling equipment;
- Vacuum equipment including pumps, gauges, controllers etc;
- General laboratory work, including designing and building simple mechanical devices.
- Maintaining and upgrading existing beamline equipment;
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of furth specialist beamline equipment;
- Assisting users
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or GNVQ level 2 (Applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered);
- 2 years proven technical experience;
- Significant relevant work experience;
- You should have proven experience in at least one of the following areas: cryogenics, high temperatures, magnetic fields and/or high pressures, ultra high vacuum, specialist gases, cooling water;
- Ability to understand and interpret mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Effective team player.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Able to produce simple engineering drawings;
- Knowledge of ultra high vacuum equipment;
- Experience with chilled water, compressed air, domestic water;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Good IT skills- standard MS Office software;
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines;
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org