Senior Beamline Scientist
|Job Title||Senior Beamline Scientist, Scanning X-ray Microscopy Beamline|
|Salary information||Circa £42k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require an experienced scientist to join the Scanning X-ray Microscopy Beamline, BLI08. Candidates should have appropriate qualifications and experience of X-ray measurement using synchrotrons. You will play a leading role in the design and operation of the beamline working closely with the beamline users. Experience of; synchrotron radiation research, X-ray microscopy, X-ray absorption spectroscopy and X-ray fluorescence is essential.
Beamline I08 is a scanning X-ray microscopy beamline covering the energy range 0.25 - 4 keV with a minimum spot size of about 20 nm. The principal experimental techniques used on the beamline are X-ray imaging, X-ray fluorescence mapping, X-ray absorption spectroscopy and to a lesser extent transmission X-ray diffraction imaging. Special sample handling facilities should include an environmental cell to permit the study of (hydrated) samples in near-natural conditions, with the additional possibilities of sample tilting, heating and cooling, and the application of external magnetic fields.
The beamline has an active user community covering many scientific disciplines ranging from earth and environmental science, biological and bio-medical imaging, materials science to scientific aspects of our cultural heritage.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist in the design, construction, installation, commissioning and operation of the beamline.
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of a particular significant development of the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Installation, assembly, and maintenance of a range of equipment and systems on the beamline and support laboratories, including testing and commissioning;
- Procurement of significant beamline components;
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components;
- Local contact support to users by setting up and providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations for own work in an area relevant to beamline;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification,
- Second degree in appropriate subject,
- Relevant synchrotron research experience,
- Experience of X-ray measurement using synchrotrons,
- Knowledge of beamline instrumentation,
- Experience in X-ray microscopy,
- Experience of X-ray absorption spectroscopy analysis,
- Experienced in XRF analysis,
- Project management experience,
- Successful scientific publication record,
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion,
- Excellent observational skills,
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills,
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels,
- Self motivated,
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team,
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to manage a small team,
- Programming skills in Python and Java.
Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com