Postdoctoral Research Assistant
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Assistant|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews||02/03/2012|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We have a vacancy for a PDRA funded by Medlmmune Ltd to work within the B23 Circular Dichroism beamline team developing research programme that exploits the qualities of the beamline. You will be expected to develop a programme of research using molecular spectroscopy and other biophysical techniques. You will also be required to collaborate in user research projects, support the operations of the beamline, publish results in leading journals and attend international conferences.
Candidates should have an appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification and knowledge or experience of synchrotrons. Circular dichroism and other molecular spectroscopy research experience or knowledge is preferred.
Working with the Circular Dichroisn beamline team in the following areas:
• Develop an in-house collaborative project with Medlmmune in an area related to the work of circular dichorism beamline
• Support the beamline and peripheral laboratory facility
• Collaborate in in-house and user research projects
• Support the operation of the beamline and interact closely with the users during beamtime
• Assist in upgrade and develop the beamline, maintaining it as a world class users facility
• Publish work performed on the beamline in leading international journals and attend international conferences
Qualification & Experience - Essential
Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualifications or experience.
• Experience of Chiroptical spectroscopy techniques applied to life sciences
• Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion
• Good interpersonal communication and presentational skills
• Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
• Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
Experience in Structural Biology and Structural Chemistry.
• Experience with Windows OS
• Experience of lsothermal calorimetry
• Experience of Raman optical Acitivity
• Experience of Principle Component Analysis/Single Value Deconvolution
• Experience of working with biological materials
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org