Computer Systems Administrator
|Job Title||Computer Systems Administrator|
|Salary information||Circa £35k|
The Diamond Synchrotron Light source is the largest scientific facility to be built in the UK for over thirty years. The facility consists of three accelerators which provide high brightness photon beams through beamlines to experiment stations. Diamond is now operational with an initial complement of experiment stations and a further ten in design and construction.
The Diamond photon beamline and experiment stations use a range of computer systems, for experiment control, data acquisition, data analysis and data storage. These are predominantly x86 based PCs, running Linux or Windows operating system. Local to each beamline and experiment station are servers and workstations core to supporting the science on that beamline and, in addition, there are large central computation clusters and storage servers. The availability of these systems is core to the operation of Diamond Light Source, and they are managed by a dedicated Scientific Computing Systems Administration Team.
This position will be to supervise, implement and develop the scientific computing infrastructure and services, with an emphasis on the Linux storage systems.
• Design and develop the Science Computer Systems and Networks.
• Systems Administration in compliance with Diamond policies of Computer Systems and Networks.
• Commission and diagnose faults in installed Computer Systems and Networks.
• Provide operational support and analysis of installed Computer Systems and Networks.
• Interface with internal customers, including Engineers and Scientists, at all stages of the development life cycle to, for example, develop requirements, track project progress, and verify operation of computer systems
• Contribute to the processes, associated software development and data management to support the design/operation of computer systems throughout Diamond.
• Liaise with, and supervise, contractors and suppliers of turn key computer systems and networks.
• Provide technical expertise in Computer Systems and Networks and skills in system management of Computer Systems and Networks
• Maintain a current knowledge of the Computer Systems and Networks on other, comparable, beamline and accelerator projects.
• Communicate details of Computer Systems and Networks developments within Diamond and to other projects.
• Assistance in the preparation of tenders and service level agreements for external suppliers of required services.
• Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
• Demonstrate an understanding of staff supervision.
• Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary.
• Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management
• Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility.
• Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team.
• Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision
• Experience of modern computer systems management techniques, design and implementation
• Knowledge of networking protocols such as DHCP/NAT
• Experience of network and systems security.
• Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration.
• Honours degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Equivalent other degree + relevant experience; or BTEC HNC/HND + relevant experience
• Relevant experience in the Computer system administration in a Unix environment
• Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required.
• Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home.
• Be prepared to undertake further training.
• Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
• Experience in the design and implementation of modern computer networks and the attached systems and services
• Experience of high performance computing, networking and storage technologies.
• Experience of remote administration of complex networking architectures.
• Project management experience.
• Completion of a recognised Unix Systems Administration certification (Linux Professional Institute certification, Certified Solaris Administrator or similar).
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com