Mechanical Design Engineer
|Job Title||Mechanical Design Engineer|
|Salary information||Circa £33k (depending on skills, qualifications and relevant experience)|
- Work closely with internal & external scientific and engineering staff to produce mechanical designs for projects.
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies including ultra high vacuum systems, stable support structures, precision mechanisms, cryogenics and the general design of scientific equipment and plant.
- Produce concept designs, layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer software.
- Carry out calculations and FEA as competence and supervision allow.
- Procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers.
- Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality.
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects.
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems
- Excellent working knowledge of 3D CAD system with significant hands on experience.
- Demonstrate self-motivation.
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it efficiently through to completion.
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers.
- Excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings including symbols for geometric tolerancing, surface finish and welding.
- Experience of working in a team, discussing work with other team members and presenting ideas and solutions to engineers or customers.
- Design experience of mechanical joining: brazing, welding, bonding.
- Experience of manufacturing techniques: milling, turning, casting, forging etc.
- Experience in the selection of materials and processes for design solutions.
- HNC or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
- Light manual tasks may be involved during commissioning.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff.
- Background in the use of computers and data handling including Microsoft office systems, Word, excel, power point, publisher, Microsoft project and MathCad.
- Good working knowledge of Pro/Engineer CAD system
- Good working knowledge of PDM-Link
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Some appreciation of an FEA package.
- Experience of supervising design office work.
- Experience of working within a QA system.
- Good appreciation of project management
- Experience in vacuum technology.
- Experience in mechanism design.
- Experience in mechanical design of optical systems.
- Experience with motion control systems
- Experience of overseeing manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of systems.
- Degree or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Technical Apprenticeship
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body
- Driving Licence
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org