Industrial Liaison Scientist
|Job Title||Industrial Liaison Scientist|
|Salary information||Circa £32k|
|Date of interviews||07/07/2011|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are seeking a Scientist to join our Industrial Liaison Group to develop and deliver the service offered to industrial users of Diamond in the field of macromolecular crystallography (MX). You will be involved in the optimisation, operation and marketing of the industrial aspects of the MX beamlines. As part of a multi disciplinary team you will be working closely with the MX Group and ideally you should have experience of working in a commercial environment.
To further develop the mail-in service for industrial users of the MX facilities at Diamond and to manage the delivery of this service within Diamond by liaising with the relevant beamline scientists and other Diamond staff as appropriate. Additionally, assist the industrial users of the MX beamlines who elect to come to Diamond to collect their own data.
Working with the Industrial Liaison Group and MX beamline team to:
- develop the mail-in crystallography service for industrial users of MX;
- run the service taking responsibility for sample management, data collection and reporting to the customers;
- assist in the commissioning and optimization of the automation of the MX beamlines alongside other beamline scientists and support staff;
- assist in the operation of the beamlines for users including carrying out a user support role via the local contact system (specifically for industrial users);
- assist in the marketing of the service by making presentations at conferences, participating in company visits etc.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Relevant PhD degree or equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience;
- Experience in macromolecular crystallography and data collection and analysis;
- Experience in using macromolecular crystallography synchrotron beamlines;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be able to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of working in a commercial environment.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com