PDRA, Beamline I04-1
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate, Macromolecular Crystallography Beamline I04-1|
|Salary information||£28,409 - £39,050; starting salary, dependent on assessment of previous relevant experience and qualifications|
|Date of interviews||21/01/2011|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced crystallographer at the Post Doctoral Research Associate level to join the I04-1 beamline within the Macromolecular crystallography village at Diamond. I04-1 is a fixed wavelength (0.92 Å) insertion device beamline dedicated to macromolecular crystallography (MX) and complements the other four currently operating MX beamlines at Diamond. I04-1 provides a high flux X-ray beam for macromolecular structure determination by the Single Anomalous Diffraction (SAD) or Molecular replacement (MR) methods. A state of the art automated endstation consisting of a MD2 microdiffractometer, a Pilatus 2M hybrid pixel array detector and a CATS robot for automated sample handling is integrated into a automated data reduction pipeline that provides users with a high-throughput crystallography platform.
Research will be focused on structural studies of a multifunctional bacterial uptake system that is required for critical mechanisms of bacterial survival in the human.
To carry out structural biology research exploiting the infrastructure at Diamond under the guidance provided by Group Leader. In addition, the post holder will support facility users by providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments on MX beamlines at Diamond.
- Contribute to the structural biology research programme on-going within the group;
- Carrying out in-house research activities;
- Carrying out experiments, analysing data;
- Provide support for facility users (local contact), in performing their experiments at Diamond;
- Attend relevant scientific meetings;
- Publish scientific results in international peer-reviewed journals;
- To carry out any other relevant duties as may reasonably be associated with the post and which may be required from time to time.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- PhD in biochemistry or related disciplines; or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Sound understanding of methods, systems and approaches relating to macromolecular crystallography;
- Good laboratory research skills;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to plan and carry out a research project;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of work;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotrons;
- Experience in cloning and recombinant expression of proteins for structural studies.
Candidates are encouraged to contact Dr. Martin Walsh firstname.lastname@example.org for further details on the responsibilities and research associated with the post.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com