|Job Title||Contracts Officer|
|Division||Finance and Admin|
|Salary information||Circa £30K|
|Date of interviews||15/06/2010|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We require a Contracts Officer who will provide key professional services to draft, analyse and negotiate (non procurement) agreements/contracts required across the organisation including those related to facility access, studentships, collaborations, joint appointments and intellectual property.
If you are a confident self starter, suitably qualified and experienced to manage a broad range of legal agreements, with excellent interpersonal skills at all levels, then you could be the person to make an important contribution to the future success of our science and technology based organisation.
Reporting to the commercial manager you'll be required to liaise with our science and technology staff and directorate as well as with our external partners and contacts across academia and business.
To provide a professional service to draft, analyse and negotiate (non procurement) agreements/contracts required across the organisation.
- To co-ordinate and improve the processes by which Diamond manages a growing number and range of science and technology agreements;
- Deal directly with agreements and contracts for the wide range of (non procurement), requirements, including those related to Facility access, Studentship, Collaboration, Joint appointment, Intellectual Property, Media arrangements and Estates management;
- Scrutinise and negotiate contracts: Engaging with all interested parties to negotiate and influence in order to achieve suitable agreement, keeping all stake holders informed and seeking appropriate advice at all levels (including the Directorate) as appropriate to assess risks and benefits;
- Deal with other business needs as they arise, such as reviewing and advising on legal compliance requirements;
- Research and seek necessary technical advice on particular issues. Where appropriate, working with external legal support to meet the needs of particular negotiations;
- Liaison with external parties as necessary including: UK and international academic establishments and other users, shareholders, commercial customers, lawyers and other consultants;
- Keeping comprehensive records of each stage of the negotiations. Proactively arranging review meetings and work load reviews;
- Preparing the final briefing note requesting signature of agreements, setting out key terms and any risks or issues;
- Accurately maintain, update and monitor existing records ensuring that follow up actions are met throughout the life of the agreements;
- Continuously develop and establish relevant procedures and policies to improve Diamond’s management of contracts, both internally and through its third party relationships, whilst at the same time keeping related work load and overheads to a minimum;
- Arrange meetings, record minutes and produce action notes in connection with the roles aims;
- Other duties as assigned by the Commercial Manager when the need arises.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Post graduate qualification in the field of law e.g. Master of Laws(LLM) or equivalent. (areas studied to be relevant to the role);
- A good practical understanding of the legal aspects of the business and or science environment;
- Knowledge and significant experience of drafting academic and commercial agreements to a high standard;
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of relevant legal principles applicable to the role;
- Knowledge and experience in the administration of legal agreements;
- Familiar with the internet as a business resource;
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in a similar or related capacity;
- Rigorous administration skills;
- Sound IT skills are required, and the successful applicant will be fully conversant with MS word including all general formatting and electronic annotation e.g. track changes Proficiency in the use of MS Excel and the internet are also important;
- Ability to work on own initiative but also an effective team worker;
- Self-motivated with a positive approach and aptitude for problem solving;
- Displays enthusiasm and interest to effectively extract and contextualise the relevant information required in order to take control of the process;
- An ability to analyse, interpret and respond effectively to detailed written documentation;
- An organised, level headed but flexible approach to working to deadlines under pressure;
- Ability to communicate very effectively, within a science and technical environment, at all levels of seniority, in writing and orally in English to a very high standard and to present a coherent argument;
- Proven ability to prioritise a heavy and varied workload and to keep track of a large volume of ongoing projects;
- An ability to work effectively in the specialist area but contribute as part of a wider group of individuals providing support services to the organisation.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Knowledge of Higher Education administration including an understanding of research grant funding in UK universities;
- Experience of working with budgetary information and an understanding of Full Economic Costing methodologies;
- An interest and awareness in the role that scientific innovation can play within a progressive economy.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com