|Job Title||Senior Operations Technician|
|Salary information||Basic salary on appointment will be circa £34k. An additional shift supplement of 33% will be paid for regular shift working|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Diamond now wishes to recruit an additional member of the Operations Team who operate the suite of 3 accelerators.
Operations Team staff report to the Head of Accelerator Operations.
Operations Team staff will work on a regular 24 hour, 7 day, continuous year round shift system. Each work as part of the shift team responsible for:
- The safe and efficient operation of the three Diamond Light Source accelerators and related facilities;
- Maintaining the operational readiness of the accelerators and related facilities at all times;
- Undertaking routine testing, fault-finding and where feasible rectification of faults within their experience and training;
- Operation of Authorisation To Work (ATW) and Permit To Work (PTW) requirements as appropriate in run and shutdown periods;
- Acting as Emergency controllers for DLS in line with company policies;
- Provision of technical support to other Technical Division technical groups as appropriate and monitoring of ongoing tests as required;
- Fault reporting, monitoring and maintaining operational statistics for the operations group;
- Assisting in the preparation of documentation and development of operational procedures;
- Assisting in installation, commissioning and maintenance activities as appropriate;
- Developing individual skills relevant to facility operation and functioning of the Synchrotron building.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
Candidates need not necessarily have prior knowledge of accelerators as training will be given.
The successful candidate is likely to have the following skills, experience and aptitudes:
- A degree/HND or equivalent qualification in physics or a technical based subject such as electronics or mechanical/electrical engineering and several years relevant post qualification experience;
- Good IT skills – MS Office software;
- "Hands on" ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering;
- Reliable and dependable;
- Ability to access, and occasionally work in, confined spaces;
- Prepared to undergo training and learn new skills;
- Good written and oral communications skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in operating complex systems;
- Able to demonstrate prior ability and persistence with diagnosis of faults in complex systems;
- Familiarity with the use of standard electronic measurement instruments;
- Basic understanding of electrical and mechanical drawings;
- Familiarity with safe working practices;
- The ability to write small computer application programs.
Basic salary on appointment will be circa £34k. An additional shift supplement of 33% will be paid for regular shift working.
Operations Team members will be required to be trained as classified radiation workers.
Applicants should have a first aid certificate or be willing to obtain one with appropriate training.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com