Data Analysis Scientist
|Job Title||Data Analysis Scientist, Synchrotron based data evaluation and analysis|
|Salary information||Circa £34K based on experience and qualifications; a higher salary may be available for an exceptionally experienced and qualified candidate.|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We need a software specialist with combination scientific data analysis experience and knowledge of modern object oriented software techniques to help us build world leading applications for Diamond Light Source users to analyse and visualize their data.. You will have the opportunity to play an important role together with our strong team of software engineers and scientists and a large library of in-house software to make Diamond one of the foremost scientific facilities in the world for the consistency, coherence and capability of its software solutions.
We are looking for an individual of graduate calibre in a scientific field together with a sound grasp of modern programming languages including Java, C++ and Python. You should also be capable of working as part of a multidisciplinary, multi-site team and willing to travel in the UK and overseas.
The generic responsibility is to work with the beamline scientists, scientific directors and appropriate theorists to establish software requirements for scientific data reduction and analysis and then to ensure that they are implemented in a timely manner. The process involves limited project management to expedite software delivery and testing and the writing of cutting edge object oriented software to a very advanced level.
- Working with the beamline scientists and the data acquisition team to identify and define requirements for the data analysis software;
- Management and, if necessary, implementation of required software including appropriate documentation and project plans;
- Work closely with acquisition colleagues to enable the integration of analysis software into the data acquisition process where appropriate;
- Develop and maintain expertise in software techniques, and apply them to the development of new software applications and associated frameworks;
- Use scientific and technical knowledge to understand and implement data analysis and mathematical software;
- Development and use of collaboration across multidisciplinary teams from potentially geographically separated locations;
- Produce project plans and documentation.
- Implement appropriate software testing regimes as part of the development process;
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration;
- Experience of understanding of synchrotron experimentation and data interpretation of either EXAFS or scattering techniques;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Higher Degree in an appropriate discipline;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences;
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Background in using software engineering techniques for development;
- Require significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Project management experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org