Senior Software Engineer (Team Lead)
|Job Title||Senior Software Engineer (Team Lead)|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£42,297 to £49,761 (Discretionary range to £57,225)|
We are looking for a high calibre senior software engineer with a vision and interest in science to join our dynamic scientific software group and lead a small team working on the visualization and analysis of experiments at Diamond. Developers in the scientific software group lead and participate in collaborations with world leading software groups such the Eclipse foundation and our internal software teams. The successful candidate in this role will use their experience and knowledge to participate and ensure the success of these projects. There will be additional opportunities to develop existing and new applications and collaborations to exploit the very latest developments in distributed and high performance computing to address the challenging requirements of a broad range of scientific disciplines at the forefront of UK and international science.
As a seasoned software engineer with excellent communication skills, a strong interest in science and the latest advances in every facet of delivering world leading software you will have an excellent track record of ensuring the timely and effective delivery of complex, robust multi-layered software systems. Working with colleagues in the data analysis and data acquisition team you will help optimize and record the whole scientific process of Diamond beamlines from experiment planning, data acquisition through to the experimenters leaving with high quality experimental results.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Proven ability of leading the development, testing, deployment and support of complex multi-layered software projects;
- Extensive experience of a range of software tools including Java, Java GUI programming (RCP and SWT) and Python;
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Background in using software engineering techniques for development;
- Requires significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Project management experience including using Agile processes.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Additional experience of exploiting HPC and Cloud resources, Artificial Intelligence or Big Data applications;
- Experience of messaging brokers such as ActiveMQ.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org