|Job Title||Data Analysis Scientist - Nano Metrology|
|Post Type||Full Time / 3 year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
The Optics and Metrology Group provides expert support in the design, testing, and optimisation of X-ray optics for Diamond’s beamlines. We are eager for a data analysis scientist to join our team to expertly analyse data acquired by our nano-metrology instruments. This position will contribute to the Horizon 2020 CALIPSOplus-MooNpics project which aims to push the fabrication and metrology testing of X-ray mirrors to beyond current state-of-the-art. This international collaboration involves 10 research facilities and 2 industrial partners (https://www.calipsoplus.eu/joint-research-activities-jra/jra1-moonpics/).
- Working with the metrology scientists and the data analysis group to identify and define requirements for the data analysis software for nano-metrology;
- Management, development and implementation of required software including appropriate documentation and project plans;
- Use scientific and technical knowledge to understand and implement data analysis and mathematical software;
- Write higher level controls software (Matlab, Labview, etc) to interface with scientific instruments;
- Create user-friendly software (scripts & GUIs) to mathematically analyse and process scientific data;
- Using the above mathematical tools, “stitch” together overlapping fields-of-view to create composite, panoramic images of the surface topography of X-ray optics;
- Operate computer controlled metrology instruments (including Fizeau- and micro- interferometers, and slope measuring profilers) to measure the surface topography of X-ray mirrors. However, prior knowledge of such instruments is not necessary as full training will be provided.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Strong mathematical science background, including relevant University degree;
- Excellent computational skills, especially data analysis and visualisation, using modern programming languages such as Java, C++ or Python;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out of hours working;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience using advanced mathematics, including filtering and stitching techniques;
- Proficiency using computer controlled scientific instruments;
- Experience of working in a metrology lab / cleanroom environment;
- Knowledge of visible light and / or X-ray optic testing, and handling of delicate optics.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org