|Job Title||Electrical Design Engineer|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
Diamond Light Source is located in South Oxfordshire and is one of the UK’s leading scientific facilities; providing X-Ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter.
The Beamline Systems Engineering team plays a key role in the design, development and construction of the Beamlines that transport light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The Beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
We are seeking a number of self-motivated, experienced electrical engineers to join the Beamline Systems Engineering team in the development of innovative equipment that enables world class applied research to be performed at Diamond.
The successful candidate will have a background in designing complex control and instrumentation systems.
- Work closely with internal & external scientific and engineering staff to produce electrical designs for projects including, motion control for optical systems, vacuum control systems for vessels & beam tubes, safety interlock systems for personnel protection and electrical installations for buildings and experimental areas including power distribution, lighting, telecoms, HVAC, etc.;
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies such as Programmable logic controllers, Sensors, actuators and encoders;
- Use of Computer Aided Design software package AutoCAD;
- Procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers;
- Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- HND or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems;
- Good working knowledge of a CAD system with significant experience;
- Demonstrate self-motivation;
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it efficiently through to completion;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers;
- Good background in electrical engineering;
- Excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings and working to specifications for controls and electrical designs;
- Experience of working in a team, discussing work with other team members and presenting ideas and solutions to engineers or customers.
- Background in the use of computers and data handling including Microsoft Office systems, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Microsoft Project and MathCad.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Degree or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Technical Apprenticeship;
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff;
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD;
- Some appreciation of electrical calculations packages;
- Experience of supervising design office work;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Good appreciation of project management;
- Experience of overseeing manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of systems;
- Knowledge of developments in the field;
- Competence in two or more of motion control, safety interlock systems, electrical installations for buildings and experimental equipment including power distribution, lighting, telecoms, HVAC, etc. PLCs, sensors, actuators, encoders, vacuum technology.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org