Senior Software Systems Engineer
|Job Title||Senior Software Systems Engineer|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£42,297 to £49,761 (Discretionary range to £57,225)|
Working on distributed-control systems, as Senior Software Systems Engineer, your task will be to lead a team of scientists and engineers to specify and develop software to deliver ultra-stable x-ray beams to the experimental sample; to provide control of the experiment and manage the readout of the detectors. You will be working in a distributed, heterogeneous computing environment, using the real-time operating system for direct control of the x-ray optical components and Linux workstations for the operator interfaces and development environment. Most server applications are coded in C or built using the EPICS control system toolkit, while client applications use a combination of Java and Python or tools.
You will need to demonstrate an excellent understanding of computing technology applied to real-time and distributed control applications and excellent programming skills. Together with a good honours degree in physics, electronic engineering or computer science. For the right candidate the position offers a relaxed non-commercial environment full of motivated individuals and comprehensive benefits.
- Design and develop the Control System of one or more photon beamlines;
- Commission and diagnose faults in installed Control Systems;
- Provide operational support and analysis of installed Control Systems;
- Interface with internal customers, including Engineers and Scientists, at all stages of the development life cycle to, for example, developing requirements, track project progress, and verify operation of Control Systems;
- Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis;
- Liaise with, and supervise, contractors and suppliers of turn key Control Systems;
- Provide technical expertise in software development and skill in software design for real-time embedded applications;
- Project planning and coordination of projects relating to Control Systems for photon beamlines;
- Maintain a current knowledge of the Control Systems on other, comparable, beamline and accelerator projects;
- Communicate details of Control System developments within Diamond and to other projects;
- Mentor and train more junior engineers as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Honours degree in physics, electronic engineering, computer science or equivalent other degree;
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written;
- Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary;
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility;
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team;
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision;
- Demonstrate an understanding of staff supervision;
- Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management;
- Significant experience in the software design and/or programming of industrial or scientific systems;
- Knowledge and experience in programming in C;
- Experience in developing software in a real time distributed control environment;
- Knowledge and experience of developing in a Unix environment;
- Knowledge and experience of developing with a source code control and structured release environment;
- Experience of using software testing and debugging tools effectively and developing automated test harnesses;
- Knowledge and experience of EPICS.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Knowledge and experience of VME or embedded systems;
- Knowledge and experience of Linux on PC’s;
- Knowledge and experience with Scripting Languages;
- Knowledge of Motion control;
- Knowledge of networking;
- Knowledge of VxWorks;
- Knowledge and experience in programming in Java.
- Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required;
- Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home;
- Be prepared to undertake further training;
- Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org