|Job Title||PDRA, BLI04-1|
|Post Type||PDRA, BLI04-1|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
The world-first XChem facility at Diamond offers routine and fast crystal-based fragment screening to academia and industry. The platform enables visitors to screen 100s of compounds per week individually in crystals, and supports all steps from crystal soaking and harvesting to data collection and analysis. The facility is part of the MX beamline I04-1.
The facility is now recruiting a postdoctoral fellow develop the protocols for high-throughput, parallel, synthetic chemistry that follows on from initial XChem hits.
The nature of the role requires postdoctoral experience in synthetic chemistry, python programming, and an understanding of robotic liquid handling.
Duties / Responsibilities
To capitalise on output from XChem fragment screening by exploring, scientifically, best practice for high-throughput, small-scale, parallel chemistry.
- Run a research project to explore protocols for high-throughput chemical synthesis;
- Test, commission and develop synthesis infrastructure by developing hardware protocols and liquid handling robotic control procedures;
- Design and perform experiments to test and characterise effectiveness of chosen techniques;
- Generate and provide molecules in a suitable format for feeding into XChem screening and biophysical characterisation;
- Develop and maintain infrastructure for tracking and managing starting materials and product molecules;
- Perform routine chemical synthesis, purification, and product characterisation;
- Setup and maintain chemistry lab, equipment, ordering of reagents, and general lab upkeep;
- Maintain liquid handling robotics;
- Support users of the XChem facility and i04-1.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Fully versant on chemical synthesis (focus on medicinal chemistry);
- Ability to design and perform scientific experiments independently and bring to a scientific conclusion;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with staff and users of any level of seniority;
- Technical proficiency with equipment and ability to troubleshoot independently;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, including effective communication of results and updates;
- Ability to manage interactions with vendors;
- Ability to write scientific papers;
- Ability to present at scientific meetings;
- Ability to manage scientific collaborations;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience with compound management;
- Experience with liquid handling robotics;
- Experience of programming, especially Python, and Java;
- Experience with high-throughput crystallography;
- Experience with crystal handling and soaking;
- Experience with fragment screening (any);
- Experience of synchrotrons / x-ray beamlines;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Experience with database programming;
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org