Senior Mechanical Project Engineer
|Job Title||Senior Mechanical Project Engineer|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£42,297 to £49,761 (Discretionary range to £57,225)|
Diamond Light Source is located in South Oxfordshire and is one of the UK’s leading scientific facilities; providing X-Ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter.
The Beamline Systems Engineering team plays a key role in the design, development and construction of the Beamlines that transport light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The Beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Mechanical Project Engineer to join the Beamline Systems Engineering team in leading the continued development and innovation of equipment that enables world class applied research to be performed at Diamond.
The successful candidate will manage a team designing, building and testing a range of complex devices and should have skills and experience in some or all of the following:
- Ability to take a pro-active lead in the delivery of a range of projects interacting closely with scientific and engineering staff;
- Able to plan, manage and coordinate resources;
- Ability to develop innovative solutions to challenging problems;
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Experience in designing, manufacturing and testing high stability, high resolution systems;
- Experience using ANSYS for thermal, structural, vibration and CFD analysis;
- Ability to analyse problems in a methodical manner;
- Experience in the design of Ultra High Vacuum systems;
- Experience in the design of systems operating at Cryogenic temperatures;
- 3D and 2D CAD particularly CREO and AUTOCAD;
- Ability to Lead Hazard and Risk Assessment analysis and pursue solutions to mitigate risks.
If you have an Honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline and suitable experience, enjoy interaction with leading scientists, an excellent grasp of engineering principles and an interest in systems this vacancy will be of interest to you.
Please see below for the full job description and person specification:
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org