(Senior) / Research Technician in Structural Biology
|Job Title||(Senior) / Research Technician in Structural Biology|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£25,247 to £29,702 (Discretionary range to £34,157) / Senior role: £32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
|Date of interviews||11/09/2017|
We are seeking a full-time Research Technician/Senior Research Technician to support life sciences research within the Research Complex at Harwell by Diamond Light Source research groups.
Structural biology of soluble and membrane proteins (bacterial and human) forms the majority of the work carried out exploiting diffraction, solution scattering, X-ray imaging and single particle cryo-electron microscopy and cryo-electron tomography. Production of test proteins for quality control and to aid methods and instrumentation developments at the Diamond beamlines also forms part of the role. The post will contribute to research through facilitating on-going projects by the Diamond groups in the Research complex, collaborate in joint activities with the OPPF-UK and the MPL laboratories and aid generally to the efficient use of the biology laboratories.
You should have a strong background in protein purification and expression of recombinant proteins with cloning experience being essential at the senior level. Experience in MX is also desirable at the senior level and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to develop their research work, present progress and publish work. You will work as part of a team, be well organized and able to plan your time efficiently and effectively. You should be familiar with good laboratory practices and safety procedures and requirements and have the ability to communicate and collaborate in a team environment.
If you are interested in this role, and have the skills and experience we are looking for, please apply online as detailed below.
Working in support of the laboratory research scientists to:
- Contribute to research projects through engaging with research groups and providing assistance in particular for recombinant protein production for crystallography, solution scattering and electron microscopy research projects;
- Contribute to MX beamline quality control protocols through delivery of standard crystals for beamline calibration and software/pipeline developments;
- Contribute to protocol developments within the lab and life science beamlines;
- Contribute to general running of the laboratory and upkeep and operation of equipment;
- Ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced;
- Following and ensuring safety procedures and safety checks are maintained.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience in large scale overproduction and purification of proteins;
- Experience in managing laboratory general infrastructure and processes;
- Experience with windows operating system.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in molecular biology – cloning and site directed mutagenesis (essential at the senior level);
- Experience in crystallization of macromolecules (essential at the senior level);
- Experience in preparing risk assessments for biological safety and general laboratory practices (essential at the senior level);
- Experience in Macromolecular Crystallography (Desirable at senior level).
Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org