Beamline Technician x 2
|Job Title||Beamline Technician x 2|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£25,247 to £29,702 (Discretionary range to £34,157)|
Here, science is technology led requiring the installation and maintenance of often bespoke complex hardware, positioning samples tens of microns or smaller in size, with micron to sub-micron accuracies both in and out of vacuum and at cryogenic or room temperatures are standard requirements. Your role will, in part, be involved in delivering hardware capable of this and help maintain high levels of reliability for specialist/bespoke equipment to enable users to carry out experiments 24/7.
The main duty of the Electro-Mechanical Beamline Technician is to support the scientists and technical support groups associated with the beamline during beamline maintenance, commissioning and operations. The role involves assembling, testing, and maintaining scientific instrumentation, including sensitive electro-mechanical devices such as motion control systems, diagnostic devices and automation systems which may be found in vacuum and/or cryogenic environments. The technician will work with the beamline scientists and engineers in designing and installing new beamline equipment as part of upgrades; and will also help scientists on the beamline, machining small pieces of equipment such as sample holders using conventional and 3d printing techniques, and integrate ancillary equipment into the experimental areas. The technician will need to ensure that all beamline and associated laboratory work is carried out in a safe manner, and that the equipment is appropriately integrated and installed.
This post provides an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic person to contribute to the continued success of a world-leading scientific facility.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or GNVQ level 2 qualification or Electrical or Electronic City & Guilds or equivalent (applicants with equivalent work experience may also be considered);
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Effective team player;
- Ability to understand and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings;
- Proven experience in at least one of the following areas: cryogenics, machining, assembling complex motion systems, specialist gases;
- Work experience in ultra high vacuum;
- Ability to carry out a variety of mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering, crimping, cable assembly and rack wiring;
- Basic knowledge of electrical and electronic circuit theory and practice;
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electro-mechanical systems;
- Good understanding of electrical safety practices for LV low power circuits and devices;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and multimeters;
- An awareness for workshop tooling and safety considerations;
- Available to work flexibly when there are periods of intense activity to meet deadlines;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Served a recognised technical apprenticeship;
- HNC qualification;
- Able to produce simple engineering drawings;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD for design work;
- Experience in chilled water, compressed air;
- Experience of using cranes and slings, etc. for heavy lifting;
- Ability to manufacture plastic components using 3D printers
- A keen interest in science and a willingness to learn to use, develop and maintain scientific and electronic instrumentation;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as RS232/422/485;
- Knowledge of HSE legislation;
- Knowledge of latest IEE wiring regulations;
- Knowledge of BS EN 60204-1 Safety of Machinery, Electrical equipment of machines.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com