Senior Electrical Project Engineer (Accelerators)
|Job Title||Senior Electrical Project Engineer (Accelerators)|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£41,878 to £49,268 (Discretionary range to £56,658)|
Diamond Light Source is a world class science institute providing X-Ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter. The Engineering Group plays a key role in the design and construction of the electron accelerators, the ‘Insertion Devices’ that produce the light and the beamline ‘Front Ends’ that transport the light from the electron accelerator to the scientific beamlines. The accelerators comprise vacuum tubes enclosed in normal and super-conducting magnets and Radio Frequency cavities to energise and focus the electron beam. The Insertion Devices are large multi-axis magnet arrays with precision motion systems and cryogenic cooling. The Front Ends comprise thermal absorbers, radiation shutters, vacuum valves and X-ray slits that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems. All this equipment operates in Ultra High Vacuum environments.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Electrical Project Engineer to join the group to work on the detailed design of solutions to meet the scientific challenges we face, and enjoy interaction with leading physicists and engineers, supplier companies and technical teams building the equipment.
With an honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline and suitable experience, your excellent technical skills will be complemented by your teamwork and ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
To deliver world class science for the UK we need engineering solutions to match so if you feel you have the imagination to think outside the box taking a view of the whole system, coupled with expertise in the areas mentioned above, this vacancy will be of interest to you.
Key duties include:
- Responsible for the safe design, operation and maintenance of the electrical distribution system between the building point of supply and the point of connection to the racks;
- Assist in the construction of procedures and safe systems of work and advise on the appointment of PTW Issuers and Receivers;
- Advise and support technical group leaders on electrical aspects of installed systems that they are responsible for and raise Requests for Energisation. Take responsibility for managing any changes or new design work on installed systems and new Front Ends and Insertion Devices;
- Maintain the cable schedule and drawings of new and installed systems up to date;
- Work with the operations team to monitor electrical performance of installed systems and plan shutdown works accordingly;
- Negotiate, agree and write technical specifications, produce and monitor project management plans including Gantt charts, resource and procurement plans;
- Lead hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development;
- Supervise internal and contract staff;
- Keep up to date with relevant technology and industry best practice;
- Maintain and Manage project files containing all relevant project documentation.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Honours degree or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Significant responsibility for electrical aspects of larger scale, multi-disciplined projects, completing specifications and managing to time, cost and quality;
- Self motivated and with ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems supported by relevant calculation and validation;
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills;
- Significant experience in the procurement, installation and commissioning of multi-disciplined engineering systems;
- Skills and experience required to lead a team and to supervise design staff;
- Practical knowledge and experience of electrical safety in design, installation and operation;
- Excellent understanding of electrical engineering drawings;
- Day to day use of standard office based computer systems;
- Ability to access restricted spaces.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Experience of working within a QA system and maintaining accurate and comprehensive project documentation;
- Good knowledge of PLC based systems, sensors, field instrumentation, ultra high vacuum, communications and control systems;
- Good knowledge of motion control systems, actuators and encoders;
- Ability to assess electrical safety competence of other technical staff;
- Knowledge of HV DC supplies and achieving safe operating environments;
- Good knowledge of Personnel safety systems;
- Detailed understanding of the causes of electrical interference and countermeasures;
- Experience of switching HV networks;
- Some knowledge of Electrical installations in buildings including power distribution, lighting, telecoms, HVAC, etc.
Interviews are expected to take place on the week commencing 24th July 2017.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org