PDRA for Cryo EM - Method Development
|Job Title||PDRA for Cryo EM - Method Development|
|Post Type||Full time / 3 year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
eBIC (electron Bio-Imaging Centre) at Diamond Light Source provides scientists with state-of-the-art experimental equipment and expertise in the field of cryo-electron microscopy, for single particle analysis and cryo-tomography. Funded by the Wellcome Trust with the UK Medical Research and Biotechnology and Biology Research Councils, eBIC is the UK National Centre for cryo-electron microscopy in the life sciences and is currently the largest centre of its kind worldwide, hosting four Titan Krios, a Talos Arctica and a Scios instruments. (http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Science/Integrated-facilities/eBIC.html).
We are seeking a highly motivated PDRA to carry out his/her own innovative research by developing and applying new cryoEM sample preparation methods to address biological questions. This position will allow using picolitre volume dispenser for a new way to make cryoEM specimen fast and reliably. Obtaining suitable cryoEM samples for high-resolution structural determination is currently one of the main bottlenecks in cryoEM. In addition, the successful candidate will play an active role in assisting users with their experiments at eBIC.
The post holder should have a PhD degree in physics/biophysics or engineering and have a demonstrated record of accomplishment in conducting high quality original research. Knowledge at postgraduate level in cryoEM is desirable.
For further information about this role please contact: Peijun Zhang Tel: +44 (0) 1235 77 8878 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- PhD in physics/material sciences/engineering or related disciplines;
- Experience in cryogenics;
- Experience in engineering;
- Experience in scripting (E.g. Python) or programming;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Strong organisational skills and methodical record keeping;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to work independently;
- Flexible approach to work; ability to work with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in cryo-electron microscopy;
- Experience of working with biological samples;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com