Postdoctoral Research Associate
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate|
|Post Type||Full time / 3 Year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||£32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to join the accelerator physics group.
Key duties include:
- Contribute to lattice design studies for possible upgrade of the existing Diamond storage ring. Investigate accelerator physics solutions for a second DDBA-style cells to be installed in Cell 11 in the existing lattice (post DDBA in Cell 2). This involve mastering advanced numerical optimisation techniques for improving both the linear and nonlinear optics of the proposed Diamond upgrade, in continuous interaction with other technical groups such as engineering, magnets, vacuum, power supplies and controls;
- Carry out studies to model, understand and optimise the performance of the Diamond storage ring under all required operating conditions, including low alpha;
- Actively participate in Machine Physics studies to improve the performance and the understanding of the storage ring performance (post DDBA in Cell 2), proposing and undertaking new experiments, carrying out the corresponding data analysis and reporting the findings to the Accelerator Physics and Machine Development meetings;
- Contribute to producing the relevant procedures and high level software tools in order to achieve the above;
- Contribute to characterisation of the undulator performance, in terms of best electron phase space at the source point and best undulator characteristics (photon source) liaising with the beamline design team.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Able to work on own initiative;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Good physics and mathematical background, including electromagnetism, mechanics and optics;
- Familiarity with Accelerator Physics;
- Good experience in the development and use of numerical algorithm to solve Physics problems; ability to handle large scale simulations;
- Good degree of IT literacy, including thorough working knowledge of C, FORTRAN, MATLAB, Python and object oriented programming;
- Willingness to develop a deeper knowledge of accelerator physics.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Experience of developing and debugging Accelerator Physics applications;
- Good knowledge of EPICS and interfaces to EPICS;
- Experience with parallel computing.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org