Paralegal / Legal Assistant
|Job Title||Paralegal / Legal Assistant|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Division||Finance and Corporate Services|
|Salary information||£25,247 to £29,702 (Discretionary range to £34,157)|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We require a Paralegal/Legal Assistant to assist our Commercial Office in providing key professional services and in dealing with an expanding workload. If you are an organised and confident self-starter and have the ability to assist with the management and administration of a broad range of contracts and arising legal matters, then you could be the person to make an important contribution to the future success of our science and technology-based organisation.
DUTIES - To assist with the management and administration of contracts and other legal matters arising across the organisation.
- Assist in preparing and analysing non-procurement contracts required across the organisation, including those related to facility access, disclosure of confidential information, licensing, studentships, collaborations, joint appointments, intellectual property, media arrangements and estates management;
- Engage with all interested parties in the process of negotiating contracts, keeping comprehensive records of each stage of the negotiations;
- Proactively arranging contract review meetings and renewals of contracts that are in place;
- Liaise with internal and external parties as necessary including UK and international academic establishments, shareholders, commercial customers, lawyers and other consultants;
- Prepare the final briefing note requesting signature of contracts, setting out key terms and any risks or issues;
- Handle incoming enquiries from Diamond employees and external contacts, providing information, assist in resolving queries and co-ordinating contact with other Diamond employees;
- Assist in the coordination and improvement of the processes by which Diamond manages a growing number and range of science and technology agreements;
- Research and seek necessary technical advice on contractual and compliance issues;
- Accurately maintain, update and monitor existing records ensuring that follow up actions are met throughout the life of the agreements;
- Arrange meetings, record minutes and produce action notes;
- Assist the Commercial Office and to deal with other business needs as they arise.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree qualified or relevant legal/paralegal qualification;
- Sound IT skills, with the successful applicant being fully conversant and proficient with the use of MS Word and MS Excel, including all general formatting and electronic annotation;
- Previous experience in a similar role;
- A good practical understanding of the legal aspects of the business and/or science environment;
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legal principles applicable to the role;
- Knowledge and experience in the processes, procedures and systems involved in the administration of legal agreements;
- Proven ability to prioritise a heavy and varied workload and to keep track of a large volume of ongoing matters;
- Demonstrable experience of drafting contracts to a high standard;
- Rigorous administration skills with good attention to detail;
- Assertive with ability to work on own initiative but also an effective team worker;
- Self-motivated with a positive approach and aptitude for problem solving;
- An ability to analyse, interpret and respond effectively to detailed written documentation;
- An organised, level-headed but flexible approach to working to deadlines and under pressure;
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively in English at all levels of seniority and to a very high standard.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Post graduate qualification in the legal field;
- Working knowledge using legal research resources such as Practical Law Company and familiar with the internet as a business resource;
- Knowledge of higher education administration including an understanding of research grant funding in UK universities;
- Experience of working with budgetary information.
- For an informal discussion about the role, please forward your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange for the recruiting manager to return your call.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com