Electron Microscopy Scientist - Industrial Applications
|Job Title||Electron Microscopy Scientist - Industrial Applications|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed term, 5 years|
eBIC (electron Bio-Imaging Centre) at Diamond Light Source provides scientists with state-of-the-art experimental equipment and expertise in the field of cryo-electron microscopy, for single particle analysis and cryo-tomography. Funded by the Wellcome Trust with the UK Medical Research and Biotechnology and Biology Research Councils, eBIC provides a cutting edge National Centre for cryo-electron microscopy in the life sciences. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire and integrated within Diamond Light source the centre provides a unique platform to exploit electron, light and synchrotron imaging capabilities through an integrated approach in the life sciences.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our growing team to work closely with industrial users of eBIC. You will form part of our outstanding electron microscopy and industrial liaison teams and contribute your in depth experience of a wide range of different cryoEM projects. You will provide expert guidance, training and advice in areas covering sample preparation, project development, data acquisition for single particle EM and tomography including image processing, analysis and interpretation of EM maps. As the industrial liaison cryo-EM scientist you will work closely with industrial users of eBIC to ensure they get the best data from our high-end electron microscopes.
The primary role will be to support the day-to-day operation of the electron bio-imaging centre’s two Titan Krios 300 keV microscopes. The post holder will be the main point of contact for training new industrial users, managing their visits and contribute scientifically to the research and development of projects at eBIC.
- Contribute to operation and maintenance of eBIC microscopes
- Assist in the operation of eBIC for users including carrying out a user support role via the local contact system
- Assist in instrumentation upgrades to eBIC as required
- Contribute to and participate in research projects on-going at eBIC
- Promote the facility to the industrial science community through presentations at conferences, workshops etc.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD and relevant experience.
- Extensive experience in the operation of transmission electron microscopes especially in the field of structural biology;
- Experience in biological sample preparation and data collection for single particle cryo-electron microscopy experiments;
- Experience in image processing for biological 3D electron microscopy;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills and the ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in supporting scientists in the conduct of research at large scale facilities;
- Experience in electron cryo-tomography;
- Experience in the use of focused ion beam/Scanning electron microscopes for high-resolution structural analysis.
Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences
Diamond is one of the UK's leading research institutions, enabling scientific breakthroughs in many disciplines. Being a part of the Diamond team allows our staff to shape some of the most important and exciting scientific projects being undertaken anywhere in the UK. Diamond is a family friendly employer, with a competitive pension scheme and benefits package. We provide continuous learning for our staff, with training and development opportunities available across the organisation. The Diamond site is located in the beautiful South Oxfordshire countryside on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus. We share a site with the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, the Research Complex at Harwell, the pulsed neutron and muon source, ISIS and the European Space Agency, amongst others. This diverse and vibrant campus brings together some of the leading research facilities in the UK on one site with good access to local towns and cities, and excellent schools.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com