Support Scientist, B23
|Job Title||Support Scientist, B23|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed term for 3 years|
|Salary information||Circa £27,000 per annum|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
To assist B23 in User Operation, development and upgrade projects.
- In details the Support Scientist duties working with the circular dichroism B23 beamline team in the following areas:
- Collaborate and assisting with the user community in order to successfully run the experiments and support the operation of the beamline
- To ensure that all users are inducted and trained in the appropriate requirements including safety.
- To monitor and ensure the correct storage of chemicals and biologicals, waste and other specialist materials in accordance with C.O.S.H.H.
- To undertake the provision of chemicals, gases, consumables and other sample preparations as required and provide general laboratory support.
- To supervise the use of laboratory equipment, provide assistance and training if required, monitor and maintain records for calibration and service contracts.
- To monitor compliance by all users, of safety procedures and practices throughout the beamline and support laboratory in adherence with relevant company and statutory H&S and other guidelines.
- To assist in development and upgrade projects in an area related to the work of B23 beamline for circular dichroism;
- To assist students.
To undertake other duties of a similar nature including working flexibly with other employees as required
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Experience of spectroscopic techniques in life sciences, in particular Circular Dichroism (CD);
- Experience of working with biological materials;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience with instrumentation: UV and IR spectrosphotometers, isothermal calorimetry (ITC);
- Experience of programming;
- Experience in Structural Biology and Structural Chemistry;
- Experience with Windows, Statistical software and Visual Basic.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com