|Job Title||Graduate Insertion Device Physicist|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£24,997 - £29,408|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
The aim of the Insertion Devices group is to develop and optimise electro magnetic systems to enhance the X-ray generating power of the Diamond accelerator. The Graduate Insertion Device Physicist is required to help achieve this objective.
- To support the physics aspects of the design, construction and operation of permanent and electro magnetic insertion device systems for the Diamond synchrotron by; carrying out magnetic measurements, data analysis, and magnetic field optimisation procedures for actual devices; carrying out computer modelling to optimise magnetic designs; computing synchrotron radiation emission from a variety of devices; develop and maintain software tools as required;
- To support the development of new magnetic field measuring equipment;
- To participate in the preparation of procurement specifications for pure permanent magnets and trim coils;
- To liaise with in-house engineering and scientific staff during the design, specification, construction and installation of new insertion devices;
- To participate in the design and construction of any other accelerator magnetic systems as required;
- To write associated documentation for above tasks;
- Comply with the Diamond Health and Safety procedures and policies.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- First degree in physics or similar or equivalent experience.
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Self motivated;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Broad general physics knowledge;
- Familiarity with a modern scripting or object oriented programming language such as Python, C++, or similar;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Knowledge of the physics of synchrotron light sources;
- Knowledge of magnetostatics;
- Familiarity with data analysis packages such as MatLab, Mathematica, or similar;
- Familiarity with finite element analysis;
- Experience of data acquisition systems;
- Willing to work outside normal working hours including occasional evenings, nights and weekends;
- Willing to undertake occasional travel within the UK and overseas, to visit laboratories and companies, attend meetings and conferences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com