Senior Operations Technician
|Job Title||Senior Operations Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed term for 18 months|
|Salary information||Circa £32,158 - £37,833 + Regular Shift Allowance|
The Diamond synchrotron light source is the largest scientific facility to be built in the UK for over thirty years and is presently in regular operation at the Diamond site based at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire. Diamond produces ultra-violet and X-ray beams of exceptional brightness, allowing pioneering experiments to be carried out which probe deep into the basic structure of matter and materials. The Diamond facility consists of three accelerators -a 100 MeV linac, a 3 GeV booster synchrotron and a 562 m circumference 3 GeV storage ring. Diamond has been operational since the beginning of 2007 with a progressively increasing complement of 20+ synchrotron light beamlines.
Diamond now wishes to recruit an additional member of the Operations Team for 18 months to be trained and to operate the suite of 3 accelerators.
Operations Team staff report to the Head of Accelerator Operations.
The aim of the role is to support the Diamond accelerators and related facilities.The Senior Operations Technician may also be involved in machine installation, testing and maintenance activities and preparation of documentation and development of operational procedures.
The Operations Team staff work on a regular 24 hour, 7 day, 3 shift system for 60%+ of the year for ‘Running periods’ and for ‘Shutdown periods’ a reduced shift pattern. Each work as part of the shift team responsible for:
- The safe and efficient operation of the three Diamond Light Source accelerators and related facilities;
- Maintaining the operational readiness of the accelerators and related facilities at all times;
- Undertaking routine testing, fault-finding and where feasible rectification of faults within their experience and training;
- Operation of Authorisation to Work (ATW) and Permit To Work (PTW) requirements as appropriate in run and shutdown periods;
- To be Emergency controllers for DLS in line with company policies;
- Provision of technical support to other Technical Division technical groups as appropriate and monitoring of ongoing tests as required;
- Fault reporting, monitoring and maintaining operational statistics for the operations group;
- Developing individual skills relevant to facility operation and functioning of the Synchrotron building.
Operations Team members are also be involved in installation, commissioning and maintenance activities, preparation of documentation and development of operational procedures. Operations Team members may be temporarily allocated to different technical groups within Diamond to support their activities and for training purposes.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
Candidates need not necessarily have prior knowledge of accelerators as training will be given.
The successful candidate is likely to have the following skills, experience and aptitudes:
- A degree/HND or equivalent qualification in physics or a technical based subject such as electronics or mechanical/electrical engineering and several years relevant post qualification experience;
- Computer literate, the ability to write small application programs would be useful but not essential;
- A "hands on" ability, including carrying out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering;
- Reliable and dependable;
- Candidates must be physically fit and able to access, and occasionally work in, confined spaces;
- Prepared to undergo training and learn new skills;
- Good written and oral communications skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in operating complex systems;
- Able to demonstrate prior ability and persistence with diagnosis of faults in complex systems;
- Familiarity with the use of standard electronic measurement instruments;
- Basic understanding of electrical and mechanical drawings;
- Familiarity with safe working practices.
- Additional shift supplements will be paid for regular shift working;
- Operations Team members will be required to be trained as classified radiation workers;
- Applicants should have a first aid certificate or be willing to obtain one with appropriate training.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com