Senior Radio Frequency Technician
|Job Title||Senior Radio Frequency Technician|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||Circa £35,000|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
The aim of this role is to support the storage ring high power IOT based amplifiers and be responsible for linac and booster RF.
Duties to include:
Specific responsibility for the linac and booster RF and support for high power IOT based amplifiers used for storage ring operation, including services and auxiliary supplies.
- Characterisation and calibration, repair, day-to-day checks and operation of the injector RF and associated equipment;
- Support the operation of high power amplifiers in the storage ring RF plant;
- Detailed fault analysis of every linac and booster RF trip, the production of formal corrective action plans and their implementation and follow-up as part of the drive for higher reliability;
- Development and execution of detailed maintenance programmes and monthly reporting of maintenance plans, faults and ongoing issues;
- Monthly reporting of spares stock with on-going review of appropriate stock holding;
- Ensuring that all relevant drawings are accurate and kept up-to-date;
- Liaison with the Operations Teams for fault diagnosis and repair; provision of operating instructions and training for the Operating Team and the RF Group for any new developments in RF amplifiers;
- Contribute to the general commissioning, system calibration, system set-up and other studies related to all RF systems;
- Assist in the drawing up of manufacturing and test specifications;
- Support the design, development and building of ‘in house’ RF equipment as required;
- Supervision of relevant procurement contracts including witnessing of factory tests;
- Supervision of external contractors and technicians as assigned;
- Contribute to ensuring safe working practices, relating to the maintenance and operation of all RF systems;
- Carry out any additional tasks and responsibilities as nominated by the Group Leader;
- Participate in on-call support of the linac, booster and storage ring RF plant.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Relevant work experience;
- General understanding of basic physics and/or engineering principles;
- Experience with RF components such as coaxial cables, splitters, diodes, RF filters and couplers;
- Experience in the use of electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes, multi-meters, spectrum analysers, network analysers, power meters etc.;
- Experience of maintenance of electrical equipment or systems;
- Understanding and interpretation of mechanical drawings and basic circuit diagrams;
- Ability to work on one’s own initiative and to carry out tasks independently, but also to be an effective team member;
- Ability to manage small projects;
- An aptitude for problem solving and fault finding;
- Willingness and aptitude to learn new skills;
- Good communication skills (verbal and written);
- Computer literate.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Qualified to degree level, or equivalent in an appropriate branch of Physics or Engineering. Candidates with significant hands on experience without a degree will also be considered;
- Experience of operating high and low power RF equipment and of working with high voltages;
- Familiarity with the use of Quality Assurance Procedures and safe working practices.
- Must be willing to work outside normal working hours, including occasional evenings, nights and week-ends as operational needs dictate;
- Must be willing to travel on occasions within the UK and overseas, to visit laboratories and companies, attend meetings etc.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org