Electrical Cabling Technician
|Job Title||Electrical Cabling Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£24,997 - £29,408, with a Discretionary Range up to £33,819|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We now looking to recruit three Electrical Cabling Technician within the Installation & Facilities Management Group.
The aim of this role is to support the Senior Electrical Technician within the Installation & Facilities Management Group in regard to cabling Beamlines and test and inspection of the electrical infrastructure.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Electrical cabling of Control and Instrumentation, (C&I), power, signal, monitoring and coax circuits including termination and throughout the facility;
- Specialist knowledge of C&I connector terminations both crimped and soldered. Typical C&I connectors to be terminated are; UTO & (Military types), Lemo, Kings, D-types;
- Monitoring and testing duties, as required by the Statutory Authorities, including Diamond’s 5 yearly LV test and inspection programme;
- Installation of cable containment; cable tray, uni-strut and conduit;
- Assistance with operation and maintenance of the existing facility. Problem solving and fault diagnosis on site electrical distribution services;
- Liaison with; internal staff, external contractors, service engineers and suppliers;
- To keep up to date records of all testing documentation;
- To report the progress of activities or teams to the senior electrical technicians;
- To carry out and assist with the preparation of safety risk assessments and method statements, (RAMS);
- Participation in Health and Safety and Quality Assurance procedures as appropriate to the post;
- To undertake other related duties to meet the needs of Diamond’s Installation and Facilities Group.
- Flexible approach to working conditions and environment;
- Supervision of Agency / Contractor electricians;
- The job may require participation on the on call rota.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- BS7671 Wiring Regulations Qualification or City & Guilds 2360 Part A & B or equivalent;
- BS2391 Electrical Testing & Inspection, or equivalent;
- Significant amount of relevant work experience;
- Computer literate;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Experience with LV Electrical Distribution;
- Electrical cabling to 17th Edition Wiring Regs;
- Electrical cabling of power, signal, monitoring and coax circuits including termination and testing;
- Familiarity with using Quality Control Systems, Work Planning and Safe Systems of work;
- Effective team worker;
- Flexible approach to the working conditions and environment;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- JiB Approved Electrician;
- The Applicant should have served a recognised Apprenticeship in an Engineering / Technician discipline;
- Work planning and organisational skills;
- Good communication skills: verbal/written;
- Able to organise and prioritise tasks to meet project timescales. (Project planning);
- Experience of HSE legislation;
- Monitoring progress of electrical installation contracts;
- Prepared to learn new skills;
- Able to get on with people at all levels.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com