Support Technician (Electrical)
|Job Title||Support Technician (Electrical)|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£19,386 - £22,807, with a Discretionary Range up to £26,228|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We now looking to recruit two Support Technicians within the Installation & Facilities Management Group.
The aim of this role is to support the Senior Electrical Technician within the Installation & Facilities Management Group in regard to cabling Beamlines and testing the electrical infrastructure.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- As lead cable puller for accelerator and Beamline cabling, required to organise; routing, materials and a small team of operatives and coordinate these activities;
- Basic knowledge of electrical systems, in order to support electrical technicians;
- Store-person to organise and maintain the IFM electrical cabling and connector stores for all aspects of accelerator and Beamline cabling. Computer literate to carry out; Stock take, asset register, equipment bookings, MEWP checks, Hole Log / Fire stopping register, etc.;
- Knowledge of electrical Control and Instrumentation, (C&I) connectors; UTO, Lemo, Kings, D-types, etc. Able to identify different electrical connectors and materials to organise within the IFM electrical stores;
- Basic knowledge of electrical bonding and earthing for cable containment, ability to install cable tray, conduit, trunking and uni-strut;
- General site safety awareness and understand Diamond’s Safe Systems of work, Authorisation to Work (ATW) and Permit to Work ( PTW) requirements and associated risk assessments and method statements. These include working in both CDM and non-CDM areas.
- To carry out general house-keeping / tidying following cabling activities undertaken by the group.
- Flexible approach to working conditions and environment;
- Supervision of Agency / Contractors.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- A level / BTEC ONC or equivalent;
- CSCS car holder;
- Computer literate;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Experience of pulling cables of all types and sizes from large power cables 400mm² to sensitive control and instrumentation circuits;
- Knowledge of Low Voltage Electrical systems and associated cable containment; tray trunking and conduit;
- Experience of store keeping, asset registers and stock taking of electrical items;
- Safe Systems of work; permits, Risk Assessments;
- Effective team worker;
- Flexible approach to the working conditions and environment;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- The Applicant should have served a recognised Apprenticeship in an Engineering discipline;
- Work planning and organisational skills;
- Good communication skills: verbal/written;
- Able to organise and prioritise tasks to meet project timescales. (Project planning);
- Experience of HSE legislation relative to CDM areas;
- Familiarity with using Quality Control Systems;
- Prepared to learn new skills;
- Able to get on with people at all levels.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org