Electrical Project Engineer
|Job Title||Electrical Project Engineer|
|Post Type||Full time/Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £ 34,000|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We require an experienced electrical engineer to work mainly on electron beam accelerators but also on beamlines and general facilities. You will lead the design of new aspects equipment and supervise technicians and electricians during the installation and commissioning if complex systems. You will supervise maintenance and safety inspections, reporting directly to the Senior Electrical Engineer responsible. You will contribute to specifying and purchasing new and replacement items, purchase materials and ensure that all necessary tools, cables, connectors and drawings are available and carry out installation and commissioning tasks. You will be able to update drawings with as-built information, supervise designers creating new and updating existing drawings and work with other staff from different departments to maintain and upgrade Diamond.
- Design of control systems hardware arrangements for accelerators;
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of above systems;
- Preparing method statements for installation and testing;
- Preparing risk assessment;
- Safety inspections on electrical systems;
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of beamline module;
- Ordering materials and maintaining spares holdings;
- Supervising and approving preparation of new drawings and updating existing designs;
- Collating information for technical files.
Electrical Project Engineer - to assist the Senior Electrical Engineer in carrying out projects, upgrades and operations activities related to the accelerator systems of the Diamond facility.
- Carry out safety and reliability inspections on low voltage electrical and control systems.
- Devise creative, innovative and adaptive solutions to problems involved with the electrical engineering systems. Produce outline designs and supervise the detail design, manufacture, installation and test processes.
- Assist technical groups with maintenance and upgrades of control and instrumentation systems for Injection, RF, diagnostics and vacuum systems.
- Supervise contractors engaged in design, manufacture, installation and test of electrical and control systems.
- Analyse failure records and planning of repairs and upgrades during shutdown periods.
- Update designs to the as-fitted state and integrate contractors’ designs into Diamond documentation.
- Update record drawings and databases and inspecting equipment on site.
- Make presentations of project status at project meetings.
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
- Keep up to date with relevant technology and best practice.
- Maintain project files containing all relevant project documentation.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- HNC in Electrical or Electronic, City & Guilds or other qualification equivalent to QCF level 4 (applicants with equivalent work experience may also be considered);
- Relevant work experience in an electrical engineering role with industrial or scientific control systems;
- Basic knowledge of electrical and electronic circuit theory and practice;
- Understanding of safe working practices with electrical equipment including extra low voltage, high current and high voltage circuits.
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of motion control systems, temperature measurement and industrial control systems;
- Ability to understand and interpret electrical drawings, circuit diagrams and basic mechanical drawings;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and multimeters.
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- A strong interest in electrical safety and the technical and organisational means to achieve it;
- Some practical background in electrical engineering;
- Experience in the specification and procurement of engineering systems;
- Good working knowledge of engineering drawings;
- Experience of working in a team and presenting ideas and solutions to customers;
- Experience of writing engineering specifications and progress reports;
- Background in the use of computers and data handling including Microsoft office systems, Word, excel, power point, publisher and Microsoft project;
- Understanding of industrial instrumentation techniques;
- Academic qualification in a relevant discipline;
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems;
- Demonstrate self-motivation;
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it through to completion;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with management, peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Effective team player.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- BSc in electrical or electronic engineering;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD for electrical design work;
- Knowledge of EMC issues and the physical causes of interference and susceptibility
- An understanding of PLC operation and programming;
- An understanding of radio frequency systems operations and problems
- An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Good appreciation of project management;
- Experience of supervising contractors;
- Experience of working within a QA system and producing documents;
- Experience of overseeing manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of systems;
- Knowledge of PLC based systems, sensors, actuators and encoders, including stepper and dc servo systems;
- Knowledge of ultra high vacuum equipment.
- Understanding of communications and control systems;
- Experience of design, installation and testing of electrical installations in buildings and experimental equipment;
- Experience of radio-frequency electronics and an appreciation of safety in high power rf environments;
- Knowledge of safe design and operation of high voltage supplies for rf applications;
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff;
- Demonstrate the ability to control work to achieve goals on time and to cost;
- Driving Licence
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally;
- Light manual tasks will be involved during commissioning and maintenance.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com